Another wire question

Button pushers
Stew

Another wire question

Post by Stew »

Hi chaps.
Where can I get my hands on a selection of different coloured wire for transmitter conversions etc?
Does anywhere do a mixed selection?
What is best? 24swg silicon?

Stew.
Martin

Re: Another wire question

Post by Martin »

Yes, there are mixed selections in various gauges. You can get them from Amazon (probably quickest) Banggood, AliExpress, Ebay, etc.
Just type silicone wire 24 gauge, or similar, into Google, and it will show you various links to places you can buy.
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

If you can find old stock from surplus suppliers Stew then the wire will be much better quality, the modern stuff has very little copper in it.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Since you won't use much wire in any tx conversion, another source of wire is long servo extension lead wire such as this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005944748777.html

I buy the twisted wire by the roll - I have both "JR" & "Futaba" colours. This gives you red, yellow, brown, white & black - plenty of colour options ;) I also use the wire to make my own custom leads, connectors being crimped on.
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

I go one step further than Wayne, I buy double ended servo extensions (sold as male-male, but a servo plug on each end), a mixture of 300mm and 500mm from AliExpress.

If you are using an DM More Pro Mini Strong or one of my encoders, you need to connect with servo type plugs anyhow, I cut them in half and plug one end into the encoder and the other is soldered to the joysticks and switches.

If you prefer twisted cable, just separate the individual cores and twist them back together. And for the switches I separate the cores, unlatch the red/+5V centre cable/contacts from the plug and twist together as switches only need the black 0V and the white/yellow signal.

I know some don't trust pre-crimped connectors, but I've bought literally hundreds of them and haven't had a bad one, a better record than when I'm crimping my own connectors.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... a4d1331b5c
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

Mike_K wrote: 07 Jan 2024, 15:18 I know some don't trust pre-crimped connectors, but ....
Alternative DIY would be almost, if not more dodgy I'd have to think. :ugeek: :ugeek:
I like your way much better.
Stew

Post by Stew »

Thanks for the replies chaps. I'm always keen to have a kind of standardisation to the jobs I do on conversions etc. so colours are important to me. I am keen to try and do things properly, it's just knowing what acceptable practice is. Like the question on what wire size to use etc. Not always apparent to the amateur tinkerer.