Mike Ridley S/C sets - come & join us!

Button pushers
Phil_G

Mike Ridley S/C sets - come & join us!

Post by Phil_G »

As I've got older I find that sometimes it takes a few days for a conversation to register in my mind,
and I was reading back through Larry's thread when I recalled something Mike Ridley had said when I
called him on Larry's behalf... Mike specifically said that he'd made a substantial number of 2.4g S/C sets for customers who felt they couldnt wait for one of mine, ie where I'd not been able to keep up with requests, which is fair enough, I've no problems with that at all (I like Mike, he's a great bloke) other than I wasnt aware that I'd ever kept anyone waiting more than a few days.

The reason for the post is to invite Mikes customers to join in, lets see your models and S/C radios, its not an exclusive club here as more and more options become available for new or returning single-channellers, the S/C emulation concept has really caught on and long may it continue!

Come & join us here on the forum, and lets meet up at Ponty! Image

Cheers
Phil
Shaun

Re: Mike Ridley S/C sets - come & join us!

Post by Shaun »

Hi Phil,

It's the old story isn't it pal.. Some people just don't seem to appreciate you do this for fun not as a business and apparently fail to appreciate it's solely down to your kind selfless nature that these modules are available at all.

Good call on inviting Mikes customers on board to join in the forum and likewise I look forward to seeing even more retro modellers at this years Ponte do.

One month to go to Ponte: Hard to believe it's the 7th one...... Still plenty of time to build a Pulstar :D

Cheers,

Shaun
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Second you there Shaun
Cheers,

Tobe
GarydNB

Post by GarydNB »

Third from me :D. You're a much more patient man than I am Phil. ;)
Gary
Scott Todd

Post by Scott Todd »

Cheers also to Phil and Mike for keeping history alive!

I am anxiously awaiting my S/C encoders that Phil did for me :)

I am traveling all month and tried to work out getting across the pond for Ponty but probably wont make it. I'm sending my UK friend Andy in my place. I built him a classic Futaba with a S/C button to bring and fly. (Phils' Arduino)

You guys heckle him for me :)

Scott
Attachments
IMG_8562.JPG
piroflip

Post by piroflip »

Interesting stuff Mike, and many thanks again for your help and advice.

My Veron Deacon is taking waaaaaaay longer to build than I envisaged. lol
All I have to do now though is tissue/dope the fuz and it's all ready for a test flight.

All I have is bang/bang rudder.
Do you guys still test fly your S/C models over long grass with only a few seconds worth of fuel?

When I was a kid I just used to fill the tank and chuck them but the thought of something going wrong after spending four months building and covering it worries me. lol

We have a cereal crop growing alongside our runway which would suffice.
I'm thinking run the engine down to the dregs and launch it?

What do you advise?
Martin

Post by Martin »

If you have some suitable long grass or crop for a cushioned landing, then for something like the Deacon I'd recommend a test glide first without the motor running at all. Once the glide trim seems okay, I'd try a short motor run. If the motor is more powerful than the plane really needs, then I fit the propeller back-to-front to reduce its efficiency and thrust, and/or run the motor at less than full power (rich and/or under compressed).

The Deacon only needs a tiny amount of throw on the rudder for single channel work. If you have what looks like a 'normal' amount of throw that you'd use with a proportional set, then the turns will be quite violent.
Scott Todd

Post by Scott Todd »

Yes! It was only a few weeks after my request. Sorry. I should have posted. The Pixie is coming up in the order. I'll post when I work on it.

They are VERY well done. I'm quite pleased.

Scott