Ace Radio Control Commander Transmitter

Button pushers
MJF

Ace Radio Control Commander Transmitter

Post by MJF »

After completion and flight testing my Kraft 12 channel Reeds 2.4 conversion using Phil G's PIC Reeds emulator I wanted to do a single channel Tx for a Sterling Mini Mambo kit that I have had in a box for a very long time.

I did not want to modify my existing Mule MkII transmitter as it was part of a working single channel multi control demo unit that I had built up. The search was on for a suitable unit for conversion.
Single Channel Demo Unit.jpg
Derek P the friend who gave me the Kraft radio had an old Ace Commander transmitter that he was willing to pass on.

It was in quite good condition for something that was manufactured from 1957 through 1959.
ACE Commander TX.jpg
It cleaned up very well and had a ton of space for the two 67 1/2 V batteries and a very large 1 1/2 V battery that was required to run the 3A4 "electronic" tube
Inside the ACE.jpg
I made up three plywood & balsa battery boxes to hide the modern electronics and battery pack in and found graphics for the battery covers in Phil & Shawn's Single Channel web site.
A FrSky 2.4 DHT module was ordered along with one of Phil G's Single Channel Emulator boards.
3 Battery Boxes.jpg
Complete and working!.jpg
The entire process did not take very long and worked perfectly on the first switch on. Thanks mainly to the excellent instructions provided with Phil G's emulator board and actually reading them over before wiring up!
Now its time to get the plane ready
Last edited by MJF on 14 Jun 2018, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
Mosfets

Re: Ace Radio Control Commander Transmitter

Post by Mosfets »

Excellent conversion, It looks all the better for keeping most of the inside looking authentic.

Ade
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

That is a beautiful conversion. That transmitter is about my age, but looks much better.
I got a german Graupner Standard 30 transmitter of about the same age, but in very bad condition, which was a repair- and restoration projekt.
I like your Minnie Mambo build, it is one of my favorite models too.

Frank
MJF

Post by MJF »

Thanks guys.

I should mention that the idea of keeping the old electrics in place and making up the fake batteries were all suggestions from several forum members. I would not have thought of it.

I had hidden the DHT bind board behind the old electronics. Purely by dumb luck and accident I noticed when powered up the LED on the bind board glows orange which you can see through the tube making it look like the tube is powered up. Too bad its hidden with the back on! Fun for show n tell at club meetings.