S/C Test flight

Button pushers
piroflip

S/C Test flight

Post by piroflip »

Well, the dreaded moment is upon me.
How do you guys test fly your S/C models?

Do you test glide over long grass just in case there's a trim problem?

I've built it straight but with no elevator or throttle I'm in the lap of the gods.
If the test glide goes well do I launch it with ten seconds of fuel or fill up and go for it?

Any advice would be most welcome.
Spike S

Re: S/C Test flight

Post by Spike S »

Hi
Everyone will have their own favourite procedure. If you can get calm conditions and have 'long grass' available, A few gentle launches should give you a baseline for powered flight.
Start with a couple of seconds of fuel and increase as you become confident. Unless the model is significantly under-powered, don't have the engine screaming at first. If power is too much, consider putting the prop on back-to-front
As far as trimming is concerned (powered or hand-launch), follow the basic rule of Test flying: "Change only one thing at a time" and avoid/minimise RC inputs until a fair trim is found.
Have fun !
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Hi Larry
That’s good advice from Phil and spike
I personally trim my model for a very slight left turn then all you need to concentrate on is one press (right) to keep it going in the direction you want.
I rarely test glide though, if you know you’ve built it correct and straight it won’t be far off.
Don’t worry about not having an elevator you don’t need one.
As for fuel, I prefer to fill it to the brim and just let it go. I think it gives you chance to get the feel of the button and a chance to settle yourself down without worrying about trying to land it 10 seconds after you’ve launched it. Just my opinion :D
You’ve built it fly so just go for it!
Ron
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
piroflip

Post by piroflip »

hi guys

Thanks for all the advice.

My ten seconds of fuel chuck idea was intended to be in a straight line rather than an attempt at a circuit, we have a good area of over-run at my club field.

I think that my SC12 glow motor will be slight over-kill but I've rigged up a hand operated throttle to tone it down.

Good or bad, I'll let you know how I get on.

thanks again

Larry