S/C Controlaire Mule MkII.4

Button pushers
Wayne_H

S/C Controlaire Mule MkII.4

Post by Wayne_H »

This is my recently completed Controlaire Mule Mk II gigafied & fitted with Martin's impressive S/C encoder.
Mule Tx_1.jpg
In addition to the 2.4 ghz Frsky DIY module already installed, I'm going to add either a 36mhz module(or rf board) or a 29mhz rf board, to make use of all the good reliable gear on these (Australian) frequency bands I have that is otherwise just going to waste. Anybody want an original complete and unused Mule MKII board on 27.195 (minus the push button & switch)?

The encoder is assembled on proto-board using a layout based on Phil's previously published pcb (thanks Phil ;) ). I modified it to utilise the leads & plugs from my original (unsuccessful :( :oops: ) hand drawn pcb.
ready to begin.jpg
protoboard.jpg
working, ready for installation in the case.
working, ready for installation in the case.
The original Mule had a push button that consisted of a bushed shaft pushing down onto two leaf contacts - crude, lousy feel and a bit hit & miss in operation. I was able to replace the leaf contacts with a pcb micro-switch soldered onto a strip of proto-board which was then positioned under the plunger. The result is a really positive action push button that externally is "original" so fits the Mule case perfectly.
PB details.jpg
new switch fitted.jpg
The case, being made from a relatively soft brushed aluminium, already had a few small scratches. To preserve it and the silk screened(?) artwork, I gave everything 2 coats of a clear satin enamel after making all the cutouts but before assembly.
I have to calibrate the voltage.
I have to calibrate the voltage.
Mule Tx_3.jpg
yet to add the 2nd RF board or module - it will go in the lower left corner.
yet to add the 2nd RF board or module - it will go in the lower left corner.
I still have to calibrate the voltage display and add the second RF board (or module). I'll post more pictures when the conversion is completed.

This and my blue Pixie Tx are my two favourite S/C builds :D
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
MJF

Re: S/C Controlaire Mule MkII.4

Post by MJF »

Nice to see the old Mule Mark II being put to good use again & converted to 2.4 (Mark II.4 - clever naming too!)

Mike
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

The finished Mule II.4 with 2.4GHz & 36MHz capability.
The finished Mule II.4 with 2.4GHz & 36MHz capability.
I've now added a 36MHz rf board salvaged from a JR Quatro TX. I contemplated different ways of swapping between rf boards - switches, plugs etc. In the end, KISS prevailed (Keep It Simple Stupid!) :shock:
The block of foam keeps the JR RF board secure when the Tx back is in place.
The block of foam keeps the JR RF board secure when the Tx back is in place.
Since there was already spare proto-board "real estate " in the Tx (on the back of the modified push button), I used that to mount 3 sets of header pins. The centre set was the output from the encoder, the RHS header was the input to the Frsky board and the LHS the input to the JR board. I turned the LHS header 90 degrees so I could use the same negative pin for both the middle & LHS headers - that way it's impossible to connect both rf boards simultaneously using only 3 pin plugs/leads as I am.
Connection to either RF board.jpg
I used an angled mount for the 36 MHz telescopic antenna, mounted in the original off-center hole. The 2.4 GHz antenna is offset the same distance to the other side (no, I'm not OCD, I just like symmetry :roll: ).
angled base 36Mhz antenna.jpg
The TX has been successfully bench tested with a variety of Rx's on both bands. Now all that remains is to fly some aeroplanes with it. The weather forecast is not looking conducive to S/C flying the next few days, so I may have to wait to report it's commissioning :cry: .
The Mule II.4 is probably my most satisfying S/C Tx build.
The Mule II.4 is probably my most satisfying S/C Tx build.
Cheers,

Wayne
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Almost forgot to 'fix' the label................. :lol:
altered label.jpg
Cheers,

Wayne
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

It looks great........ 'lovely job! :P

Paul
Martin

Post by Martin »

Very nice! :)
AllenD

Post by AllenD »

That's absolutely beautiful. About a year and a half ago I picked up a Mule Mark II off ebay for a decent price and installed one of PhilGs emulators and a FRSKY 2.4 module. I've got about 40 flights with so far using a converted 2 channel Pietenpol while building an Lil Esquire to move the gear into. My Mule looks pretty good, considering it's age and compared to other single channel transmitters I've seen on ebay, but yours is really nice. I may have to try cleaning mine up and spraying a clear coat on it.

Allen
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Thanks Allen, the Mule & my Pixie MkII are my 2 'goto' S/C Tx's for button bashing :D . Without the collective "brains trust" :ugeek: on this forum, I wouldn't have been able to return either to service.

BTW - I've since replaced the internal jumper arrangement for frequency selection with a slide switch on the top of the Tx between the 2 antenna. Slide towards the telescopic antenna for 36 MHz or towards the short folding antenna for 2.4GHz operation - much easier & quicker ;)
radio frequency selection switch.jpg
Cheers,

Wayne