Demo rig TX/RX ideas

Button pushers
Stew

Demo rig TX/RX ideas

Post by Stew »

Hi all.

Having built a nicely working modern/retro 2.4Ghz S/C 'button' transmitter using Phil's encoder, a Hammond-a-like case and Frsky gubbins, I thought I might put together a small demo rig for an old Elmic Conquest actuator I have in my drawer. Having done that, I'd now like to put together a 27Mhz transmitter and receiver to go with it. I have no thoughts of putting such gear in a model, but it would be nice to have a demo rig for club open days etc.

Any thoughts on suitable Rx and Tx plans?

Stew.
Stew

Re: Demo rig TX/RX ideas

Post by Stew »

65 views and not a single reply? is this forum dead? Seems to be very little movement anywhere. Is it me?
Martin

Post by Martin »

What sort of electronics are you considering? Valve (tube), or transistor, or integrated circuit? Crystal controlled? Breadboard, stripboard, or PCB?
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

I'm making a few demo set myself, as the only TX I have is an OS Pixie that has a range of 4ft. My idea is to make a dummy TX, connected to a setup on a display board via a cable, there will still be a receiver and battery pack on the board (not working) looking like they should be there, but only the escapements will be operational. The button still works as if the TX was real, it's only a demo unit. How does that sound.
Cheers,

Dave
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

Stew wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 22:26 65 views and not a single reply? WTF? is this forum dead? Seems to be very little movement anywhere. Is it me?
Most movement happens on weekends I've noticed.
Cheers,

Dave
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

For demo rig ideas have a look at the single channel section on Phils and my website. I built quite a few many years ago with an assortment of gear. http://singlechannel.co.uk/

Cheers,

Shaun
MJF

Post by MJF »

One mans demo rig...... for what its worth.

I made up the demo rig in the photos around 10 years ago so I could play with my old single channel stuff again and also present at various club meetings & events as a show n tell & to introduce those who had never seen a single channel radio set before a look at how far we have come in our hobby.

The transmitter for the demo unit is a Controlaire Mule MKII on the original 27mc.

Also attached is a copy of the brief introduction and description of the system which accompanies the demo stand.

The base is made of 3/8" plywood approx. 12" X 18" with a pine facing around the edges to make it look pretty! When not out on tour it hangs on the wall.
The "aircraft" portion is made from some scrap pine sawn into 1/4" square glued in to the shape of a fuselage. The escapements are mounted on ply plates which slide into slots in the fuselage as was typical on most installations.

The funny hinge line of the rudder and elevator is borrowed from a Phil Kraft idea he used on his .15 powered Bi-Fli. The leading edge of the control surface would project somewhat into the wind upon surface actuation acting like a boost tab to bolster the torque of the wound escapement rubber on faster or more powerful models.

The equipment on my demo is comprised of a Controlaire "5" relayless receiver, an old Aristo "Quad-Trol" escapement, which, with luck gave you right & left rudder (which it does most of the time) and less frequently, up and down elevator on demand. An additional set of wiper contacts on the Quad-Trol would also allow an output to a motor control escapement.

A relay is required on this system to distribute voltage to the multiple escapements.

The motor control escapement is a four pole OS motor control which works surprising well when the Quad- Trol co-operates (which is not often!) This demo uses two packs of 3 AA NiCad batteries. One pack runs the Rx and relay, the second pack is for the escapement coils. The original 56 year old OS miniature relay finally died and was replaced with a 5V dc relay from a commonly available Phoenix Contact "slice relay".
Works well on the demo with 4 to 5VDC.

The fact that it does not always work perfectly, accurately reflects the real world of RC back then!
Single Channel Demo Unit.pdf
Operation Description
(779.49 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
DSCF1425.JPG
DSCF1424.JPG
The wall hanger & rubber feet
The wall hanger & rubber feet
Mike
Martin

Post by Martin »

That's really nice, Mike. I wish I had one like that to hang on my wall!
ozrs

Post by ozrs »

Here is my Quad-trol demo rig.
Quad-trol demo rig.JPG
Richard
MJF

Post by MJF »

I like the clockwork motor control. I have never actually seen one.

Always wondered about the Code-A-Matic controller. Back in the day you would have felt this was like the real thing with that control stick. I could just imagine wiggling the stick and a little rubber finger pressing furiously on a button in that box!