Swan Vesta Transmitter

Button pushers
RON
Site Admin

Swan Vesta Transmitter

Post by RON »

After chatting with Phil a few nights back, I had an idea of making a S/C tranny in a matchbox,
Its not a new thing making things in matchboxes or fag packets, electronics enthusiasts have done it for years.
Anyway, I started off building my own wooden box as a commercial swan vesta box is just too small for what I wanted.
Made from 32nd ply and balsa it was quite straight forward. I wanted to put a little hatch in the back so you could get to all the gubbins etc.
A strip of sandpaper down the sides to simulate the striker.
The artwork is designed in photoshop and then printed onto self adhesive photo paper and simply stuck onto the box.
This is just my MK 1 version for now, I will have a go at a better one in the future.

IMG_0196.jpg
IMG_0197.jpg
IMG_0183.jpg
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Shaun

Re: Swan Vesta Transmitter

Post by Shaun »

Love it Ron...
Martin

Post by Martin »

Lovely! :D

Would look a bit nicer to me without the hatch on the back of the box and with the front/back/sides of the box all kept flat: but that would mean accessing the battery/internals by sliding out the 'match drawer'. I suppose the on/off switch could be inside the drawer, but the main button would have to be on one end of the match drawer; next to the antenna? That might make holding and operating it more awkward. :?
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

So what you are really saying Martin is Ron's solution is ideal. 😂😂😂😂.

Invented any new widgets lately. Are you coming to Ponte again this year.

Shaun.
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

I understand what you mean Martin and I did think about doing it that way but having held the case in my hands it wasn’t ideal. Operation was awkward. Phil had the best idea of making the logo side out of thin cardboard and having a tactile switch inside so that when you pressed the logo it pressed the switch. That way there’s nothing showing.

Ron.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Shaun wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 17:07 Invented any new widgets lately. Are you coming to Ponte again this year.
No new R/C widgets of note. I'm working on a design for a four axis CNC hot-wire cutter that should be able to cut things like tapered foam wings with different root and tip profiles - and without needing to make any templates. But I'm not getting on with it very fast...

I'm not sure about Ponte yet, though I will most likely be coming.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Come on Martin. You'll only regret it you don't attend
The hot wire cutter sounds interesting.

Shaun
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Ron

What a lovely job you've made of a transmitter again.

Have you got a photo of inside the box as I always love to see how other people have fitted everything in a small space. Is it much smaller than the OS Pixie MK1? It looks like it could be.

And I agree with you and Phil that a tactile switch inside the case that switches when you press the side of the case would be cool, though the present switch hardly looks obtrusive. And I guess you could put the 2.4GHz antenna inside the case as well, if you removed it from the plastic antenna housing or made your own out of coax?

Cheers

Mike
Igull

Post by Igull »

Mike_K wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 11:39 And I agree with you and Phil that a tactile switch inside the case that switches when you press the side of the case would be cool, though the present switch hardly looks obtrusive. And I guess you could put the 2.4GHz antenna inside the case as well, if you removed it from the plastic antenna housing or made your own out of coax?
And while you're at it 'Q', perhaps an unobtrusive trigger to engage the nuclear charge might be in order :lol:

Neil
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Mike_K wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 11:39 Hi Ron

What a lovely job you've made of a transmitter again.

Mike
Thanks Mike.
It’s a little larger than the pixie inside but only just.
I’ve not put any electronics inside it yet as I’m not sure that this will be the final version.
I’ll make another box and see what that’s like first.

Ron.