Evil Bay

Button pushers
stormer254

Evil Bay

Post by stormer254 »

This pushes up the value of my old radios!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-MACG ... true&rt=nc
Spike S

Re: Evil Bay

Post by Spike S »

Cor ! That's serious money. If the buyer was a real retro modeller, I trust he sent a Postal Order and not Paypal. ;)
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

I was watching two MacGregor Digi set ups last week; one a Digi 3 with Rx and servo's in OK condition didn't sell for £20 and is relisted and back in my watch box. The other a Digi 4 complete, in excellent condition and in all its original packaging went for a little under £100, I have seen Futaba M series gear in original packaging hit some amazing prices, that seems to be the nature of the beast, some people recycle and reuse and some collect.

That was some serious money though.
"I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game"
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

If you want something a bit more exotic (and expensive) you could always try (or buy) one of these...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-R-C-Ra ... 0009.m1982

or this...

https://www.ebay.de/itm/VINTAGE-ORBIT-7 ... %7Ciid%3A1

And to think only a few years ago people were giving Futaba M6, MacGregors, Skyleaders and other vintage sets away for free to good homes!

Mike
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Or going totally insane this Stegmaier pneumatic actuator set.. I understand this is one of around only 20 sets ever made. The last one that sold in Germany and not as complete as this was for 7000 Euros I believe... Frank.. can you help out ;)

Cheers,

Shaun
Stegmaier.jpg
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Unfortunately not, the Stegmaier pneumatic set is one of the rarest sets around. I never saw one in real life, just from pictures in old magazines.

Frank
Martin

Post by Martin »

I read somewhere that it was a reed relay receiver and then used that to switch solenoids for the pneumatics. The pneumatics used vacuum rather than pressure? Is it true that the model had an auxilliary twin-cylinder boxer diesel engine to drive the vacuum pump? :shock: This is the motor that I read was used - a Ruppert/Webra Boxer diesel motor of 7.6 cc.

I suppose it might be possible for us to build a modern replica? Though I would be tempted to use an electric motor for the vacuum pump rather than a diesel for greater simplicity and reliability :D

Is there a good write-up on the system anywhere?
Spike S

Post by Spike S »

Ed Johnson used to fly the OMU/Stegmeir system in the time leading up to when he was UK Team Manager (Frank V-D-B, John Singleton & Co.). The motor was a Ruppert Twin (7cc Diesel) and that also drove a vacuum pump on the backplate. The carb was also vacuum operated.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/45/cc/9c ... c186f9.jpg
Presumably, one had to land pdq if the motor stopped and before the air reservoir (vacuum) became exhausted.
Unfortunately, Ed is no longer with us so no more data available from there.
Last edited by Spike S on 06 Apr 2019, 14:10, edited 2 times in total.
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Martin wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 13:41 I read somewhere that it was a reed relay receiver and then used that to switch solenoids for the pneumatics. The pneumatics used vacuum rather than pressure? Is it true that the model had an auxilliary twin-cylinder boxer diesel engine to drive the vacuum pump? :shock: This is the motor that I read was used - a Ruppert/Webra Boxer diesel motor of 7.6 cc.

I suppose it might be possible for us to build a modern replica? Though I would be tempted to use an electric motor for the vacuum pump rather than a diesel for greater simplicity and reliability :D

Is there a good write-up on the system anywhere?
Hi Martin, yes there is a good write up on the system in Retro Ramblings. The Stegmaier set is mine .😉 I would be ecstatic if I could find the one modeller so desperate to own it they lost all notion of common sense and offered me mega bucks.. I'm pretty sure that won't happen besides its got pride of place in Phils and my radio collection.

The long Aluminium tank with the rubber band was to provide an emergency vacuum source so you could control the model when the motor cut and get it down safely.

Forgot to add; although a few odd sets sell for stupid money on the Bay, most stuff is still available at a sensible price more reflective of what it is actually worth. I nearly always get my best bargains from bring and buy sales at clubs and shows...

Shaun .