Mini Reptone

Button pushers
PaulJ

Mini Reptone

Post by PaulJ »

'Finally got it finished! :P The Mini-Reptone was my first radio, bought for me by my Dad when I was (I think) 12 or 13 y/o.
IMG_20190902_071534.jpg
It had a 1 1/2 volt LT battery and a 90volt HT in the case. The 90 volt was basically ten PP9s in one case and lasted about ten minutes so I bought a much larger 90v battery that I carried in my school satchel and powered the tranny via a lead.

I didn't take any pictures before starting the restoration but the case wasn't too bad, just a few rusty spots so I copied the logo and made a new decal and resprayed it. The case is vast so I have left the old electronics in there for posterity!
IMG_20190902_083917_1.jpg
Paul
Spike S

Re: Mini Reptone

Post by Spike S »

Love it !
I used one of those controlling a boat. For my small hand (at the time) the button was a bit too far in and so had to use both hands to hold and operate the Tx. That Tx was borrowed from a school chum with considerably more financial clout than me. The Rx was my first kit-built Terrytone.
Nostalgia rules. Happy days !
Last edited by Spike S on 02 Sep 2019, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

My first attempt at RC was using one of these transmitters - borrowed from a friends dad, who had used it for boats, but given up! The receiver was a kit built Terrytone-2 and the model built from a free plan. It didn't end well! But I didn't give up, and saved up for my own MacGregor Tx, and eventually found success!

I'm not blaming the Reptone for my initial failure! It was purely lack of experience on my part! By the time I got the MacGregor, I'd had more time to think things through, and built a more suitable model!

:)

--
Pete
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Nice job Paul ;)

If you still had the school satchel, you could reuse it and the larger battery to re-purpose those original electronics as a hand warmer for an extended flying season 8-) You would also have bespoke storage for your trannie that would rival Ron's creations :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)