Compound or Sequential preference?

Button pushers
Pchristy

Re: Compound or Sequential preference?

Post by Pchristy »

I never got on with sequential. I always found that it only went in the expected direction 50% of the time! :( Indeed I wrote off my first successful model due to the Conquest skipping! After writing off a couple of Sharkies with the same problem, I gave up and bought a Compact, and at last found reliability!

I used the "fast" rattler in the Compact / Sharkie. On a calm day, the Sharkie required a rapid left / right / left / right to make it wiggle and climb after a launch, but with the Compact, a quick blip achieved this without any finger olympics!

The only problem nowadays is that most of the emulations seem to copy the speed of the slower compound escapements, rather than the rapid Compact! (Hint! Hint! Phil! ;) )

--
Pete
HenkB

Post by HenkB »

Anybody here has a reliable compound escapement lying around and want to donate it for a reasonable price to me?
For my next project I 'd like to try a compound system. The escapement I use in my Kadett is a Typhoon sequential escapement (dutch design). It works fine but my first steps into RC flying in the sixties were with a Futaba 5S transmitter on 27 mc, a superreg receiver and a coumpound system using a rudder servo and or motor or elevator servo. Can't find these servo's now, so i settle for any compound escapement. Surely something usefull must be lying around awaiting a good cause? ;)
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

If you dont want to go the whole S/C emulation route Henk then I do a small board that converts modern servos into relay-switched S/C actuators. The quick-blip throttle output will also drive an ESC which will also power the whole setup. This is a genuine period Macgregor 27mhz S/C set with a relay receiver:

HenkB

Post by HenkB »

Nice setup Phil. But I like the clickerdiclack of old escapements.
Do I understand it right that you use a 27mc superreg receiver in that system? And has it flown that way? Is there not to much pollution on 27 mc to make flying a hazard?

Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Its a superhet, you can see the rx crystal Henk
I've never flown it, but it did work and range-tested perfectly
Not sure if I still have it, or whether it was converted, I dont
remember, it was 10 years ago :D

Edit:
Wow I can hardly believe this!
I had a rummage in my stash and found the actual receiver still wired to the emulator from 10 years ago!
No lettering on the crystal so no idea what frequency it was....
Couldnt find a 27mhz transmitter with plug-in crystals so dug in my junk and found the discarded PCB from my old RCS Guidance System.... powered it up and it works... found some crystals and started going through them in sequence - and when I tried 'brown' 26.995 the whole thing burst into life!!!
It lives !!! :D
I need to find a better transmitter but then I'll range test it when it stops raining... ;)
I have a working 27Mhz Pathfinder but it has a soldered-in crystal and I'd rather not modify it...

In the early days, almost every S/C transmitter came with a soldered 27.120 crystal

I do have an MR200 but its one I converted to 35mhz, and another was used for the RCM&E 2.4g conversion article, no idea where that one went. I may have given it away, I dont remember.
So I'll be looking out for an original MR200 !
Pchristy wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 09:06 The only problem nowadays is that most of the emulations seem to copy the speed of the slower compound escapements, rather than the rapid Compact! (Hint! Hint! Phil! ;) )
All my recent encoders have had an optional faster emulation speed setting especially for you Pete :D
Even yesterdays S/C project has it but I forgot to mention it in the video :(
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Cheers, Phil! :D

All my s/c stuff is home-made 35MHz, so it looks like the original. I'm using one of those little PIC decoders you made in my Mini-Robot, as the old compound escapement I had in there was pretty knackered!

Now, one of those, suitable sped up and married to a modern (and fast) 9g servo would be brilliant! It might even be worth producing a receiver with the decoder already on board....

Don't rush though! I'm drowning in projects at present! ;)

--
Pete