GG chit-chat

Waggly tails
PaulJ

GG chit-chat

Post by PaulJ »

Ive moved these posts from the announcement forum as they were getting off topic. Thanks. Admin
Tobe wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 05:41 It took a while for him to make his mind up concerning what to pick and what to build as he is Galloping Ghost'er to come so he will need all possible support from the forum.
Gordon, the only advice I could contribute would be to pick a well proven model that was originally designed to use the GG system and preferrably one that has been recommeded by someone on the forum.......

I wanted to try GG using one of Tobe's actuators and also wanted to build a "Timber" because it was a model that someone in my club had had back in the day and I always rather liked so I thought I would combine the two. :( 'BAD IDEA! I have evenually persuaded it to fly after a fashion but it doesn't respond well to the controls and I don't enjoy flying it. I hasten to add that this is nothing to do with Tobe's actuator which works very well, it was just the wrong model for GG! :roll: The wing loading was too high, it didn't have enough dihedral and the control surfaces were not big enough. It has not been a success :cry: and I am wondering what to try next. Something a bit slower and designed for the job....... a Ghostrider perhaps?

Paul
Sundancer

Re: Announcement

Post by Sundancer »

I flew a lot of GG back in the day with MM actuators and MacGregor superregen Rxs and I would endorse the above comments about picking a model designed for the system. Two of the very best that I had were Thomas's "Gigi" (https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5536) and Grundy's "Phleet Phoot" (https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7248) and I would thoroughly recommend either, as well as Riall's "Rattler" with which a clubmate had great success (https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2436)

If building for GG now my first choice would be the Phleet Phoot converted to electric, a very straightforward build, but the quirky Gigi still appeals.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

The Ghostrider 38 is a great aerobatic model and hardly slow but can fly steady when required.

Another great model besides the Phleet Phoot (which was intended as a pylon racer in it's day) is the Wagtail. I featured the GiGi last year in RCM&E but it will take a lot longer to build than the GR38 especially the metalwork for the cabanes.

Another option for GG is the Das Ghosten Flugboat. A simple build, sheet covered wings and tough plus you have the benefit that it can fly from water if required.

Cheers,

Shaun
GeeW

Post by GeeW »

Thanks chaps for the encouragement, I have bee looking at the 'Mayfly' for my first foray into GG.
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6231

It is indeed a model originally designed for GG and I have an ideal motor sitting forlornly on the shelf.....
If anyone has experience of the Mayfly I would appreciate their input. I have seen the vid on YouTube by the Merikan chap with one. Just printed the plan out and checked the balsa supplies, all looking good there. Sanding sealer and dope in stock as well.
I have really taken to the sanding sealer followed by dope with a few tissue decoration pieces as a covering scheme for all sheet models.

As for my Pete Holland 'Timber', it is a great flying model which I still get a lot of enjoyment from. I either fly it on 2.4 reeds or on the button. Either way it performs great.
Only one GG question so far ....how the hell do you set up control throws? :o :o
I will start a thread once I have started cutting balsa..GG forum or power models forum??

Gordon
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Just build the Mayfly exactly as shown in the drawings and you are on the go!
I have built several both single as multi channel and you can't go wrong. With GG you will need all the throws you can get as shown in the planes
Cheers,

Tobe
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Gordon, I'm stunned that they don't sell RCM&E in Scotland because if they did you would have been able to read the build and flying review on the Mayfly. You may even know who did it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tobe built a couple last year, one with his Adams (that I now have) and another with his Rand (that Phil now owns).

Great plane, fly's well and easy to modify the wing incidence when you want to add an elevator. I intend to add an elevator but will use a servo so I have a hybrid GG model.

Solid model and very quick to finish in sanding sealer and dope. You could also use floor varnish such as Satin Ronseal or Johnson's Indoor, Diamond Hard if going electric instead of dope. You can also wash out the brushes in water with these products. Apply it on with a 4" foam roller for an even quicker finish.

Cheers,

Shaun
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Bit off topic guys. Thanks.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Yes.. move the guilty contributors to the correct section.

:lol:😜
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

GeeW wrote: 06 Dec 2018, 18:12 As for my Pete Holland 'Timber', it is a great flying model which I still get a lot of enjoyment from. I either fly it on 2.4 reeds or on the button. Either way it performs great.
Yes, I remember the Timber as flying well on single channel and, having seen others in action, I know that the Tobe actuator was doing what it should so I was a bit flumoxed as to why it had such poor control response with GG. I ended up doing this to the tail feathers.......
IMG_20181207_083052[1].jpg
which made some difference but not enough and in the end I increased the dihedral as well. Now it is flyable but still not great........

Gordon I would be interested in some details of your Timber...... Is the rudder as per the plan, how wide did you make the elevators, is the dihedral as per plan,what engine have you used and where is the CG?

Paul
GeeW

Re: Moved from Announcement forum

Post by GeeW »

Paul
I will fish the Timber out during the week to answer your questions.
Dihederal is as per plans and from memory so is the CofG.

From my thread on RCG
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpos ... stcount=57

Plus I put some packing under the l/e of the tailplane, 1/16" or thereabouts from memory.

Gordon