ATtiny85 GG decoder - DIY thread

Waggly tails
Stewart

Re: ATtiny85 GG decoder - DIY thread

Post by Stewart »

Martin,
Gosh, you didn't waste time implementing the suggestion. Programming is a mystery to me.
Wayne_H

Re: ATtiny85 GG decoder - DIY thread

Post by Wayne_H »

Martin wrote: 22 Mar 2019, 19:24 Stewart suggested that some users might not wish to use an auxiliary channel to control the 'drive power' of the actuator, .....
Interesting alternative :) The vid gives a great explanation of the effects of varying the drive time.
Martin wrote: 22 Mar 2019, 19:24 .......everything appears taller and thinner than it really is. I wish I could make myself taller and thinner, but that's not so easy! :lol:
oh brother, I hear you :lol: :cry: :oops:

I managed to 'borrow' a few hours during the week to do some experiments with the DIY sketch and 2 different ATtiny85 boards and 2 cheap H-Bridge boards off the Bay. These are the boards:
The 2 x H-Bridge boards at the top, the 2 x ATtiny85 boards at the bottom.
The 2 x H-Bridge boards at the top, the 2 x ATtiny85 boards at the bottom.
One ATtiny board is the DigiSpark with the USB tab removed (as per Phil's post) & the other is a slightly different configuration with a micro-USB socket fitted. I had an oops moment when sawing off the USB tab - the saw slipped & knicked the board cutting a track but fortunately I was able to repair it.
Oops_s.jpg
Oops_fix.jpg
Note that the spacing between the power pins & the P0-P5 pins is different between these 2 boards - this prompted me to modify my ATtiny85 ICSP programming board to accommodate both types, thus:
Both boards are fitted in this view for demonstration, but only one board at a time is fitted when programming.
Both boards are fitted in this view for demonstration, but only one board at a time is fitted when programming.
The two H-Bridge boards have similar specs, the blue board is smaller & costs a few more cents, but neither is expensive! The physical configuration is different and the labeling is subtly different too, as evident in the pictures.

The sketch had to be modified as per the instructions Martin included in his sketch
// leave #define in place for L9110(S) and other H-bridges that have active low inputs. Comment out for MX1508, L298 and other H-bridges with active high inputs
so,
// #define L9110
was changed to
#define L9110
and all was working as it should.

For my experiments, I made up a board with sockets & pin headers, so all 4 boards could be easily inserted/removed to test all combinations.

The ATtiny boards had sockets fitted so that I could plug them onto my ICSP programming board if code changes were needed.
the double vertical row of black 5xPin headers is to accommodate the different hole spacing on the 2 x ATtiny boards tested.
the double vertical row of black 5xPin headers is to accommodate the different hole spacing on the 2 x ATtiny boards tested.
Once I found the one (of course :x ) bridged solder joint (suitably & colourfully cursed, of course :roll: ) all worked as it should, on 3 different motor+g/box combinations.
DigiSpark board fitted. Red H-Bridge plugs onto top of my test board
DigiSpark board fitted. Red H-Bridge plugs onto top of my test board
blue board fitted
blue board fitted
blue H-Bridge plugs onto bottom of board
blue H-Bridge plugs onto bottom of board
Red H-Bridge plugs onto top of my test board while blue H-Bridge plugs onto bottom of board.<br />Only one H-Bridge is fitted at a time for operation/testing.
Red H-Bridge plugs onto top of my test board while blue H-Bridge plugs onto bottom of board.
Only one H-Bridge is fitted at a time for operation/testing.

My assembled boards from Martin arrived yesterday, but they'll have to wait until next week :cry: .

Thanks Martin for another great project :D
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)