Rand Actuator Throttle control

Waggly tails
JohnH

Rand Actuator Throttle control

Post by JohnH »

I am interested in knowing how many people, who own Rand LR-3 or GG Pak actuators, would like to obtain a PPM to Single channel GG pulse recoder that could operate the throttle arm on the Rand actuator? Obviously if you are strictly an electric pilot, the throttle arm would not be needed, but maybe some, like me, still fly 1/2 A glow models and might like to replicate the action of the original Rand.

If this is something you would definitely want, please let me know by replying to this message. Keep in mind this is just an interest survey. The recoder does not yet exist, and I am not sure as to whether or not the design can be worked out.

Thanks to all.
John H.
"Here's another fine mess you've gotten me into."
Wayne_H

Re: Rand Actuator Throttle control

Post by Wayne_H »

John,
I have a Rand LR3 & a Tobe "replica" (a great piece of kit ;) ). While I almost exclusively fly electric now, I expect that if I were to use the LR3 in an i.c. powered model, the reliability & flexibility of having a separate throttle servo operated directly off the throttle channel would outweigh the nostalgia of sticking with the weaker LR3 throttle arm.

Since Phil's emulator uses the aileron & elevator channel inputs anyway, why not use the throttle channel "as is"?? Only my few cents worth & to each his own :D

Welcome to the group, great to have you with us.
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

One concern here is that the original did only gave about 4-5 throttle positions, 1 after each cycling with a distinct pitch up each time ( low definition) as a throttle servo/electric gives full proportionality ( high definition) with no impact on pitch. Think about what a pitch up could have as consequences at low speed & low altitude
GG of type LR-3/ Controlaire are extremely voltage sensitive ie as battery drains out the throws will diminish with a clear pitch down and may be at last not enough power left to cycle the actuator thus non throttle changes...I would recommend for either solution at least a voltage regulator to guarantee constant voltage.
This was the reason why I opted to not install a "direct throttle control" on my actuators.
Cheers,

Tobe
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

Wayne, Tobe, Phil.

Thank you for the excellent feedback. The points you make in regard to the disadvantages of the Rand throttle are valid and most likely would preclude putting in the time and effort to design a system to operate it. My interest was not to put any pressure on Phil to do that, but to find out how many nutty purist's like me would be willing to ignore the disadvantages just to be able to operate the Rand as it originally was.

Thank you and my Best Regards,
John H.
"Here's another fine mess you've gotten me into."
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Recoder with 'cycling' throttle for genuine Rand actuators: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=767