New generation GG-actuators

Waggly tails
Tobe

New generation GG-actuators

Post by Tobe »

I want to introduce you to a new generation Galloping Ghost actuators...might not be suitable for the purist as the interference between Rudder and Elevator is not necessarily there anymore but on the other side the pulse rate can be set via an auxiliary channel on the transmitter if the default is not up to your expectation.
Something in this direction have been on my bucket list for long time and with the last storms I got time to spare and ...There has been a loot of thinking with try and error but slowly I'm getting there
What you see in the pictures are "Single Action" actuators in 3 different configurations, single unit and in a Brick unit with the options of side by side or tandem together with my 2 original ones, standard and with reversed elevator as elevator shouldn't be reversed from the transmitter. Missing in the picture is the Adams Clone
With a combination of actuators now it's possible to fly full house GG something that wasn't possible in the old day.
The single action actuator follows in the steps of the old Bellamatic.
Single action B.jpg
Tandem.jpg
Brick B.jpg
Tandem & Side by Side A.jpg
New generation GG A.jpg
Cheers,

Tobe
Wayne_H

Re: New generation GG-actuators

Post by Wayne_H »

Very impressive Tobe 👌- the tandem version with 2 actuators side by side looks just the thing for my "bucket list" Kraft Bi-Fly

Any ideas yet re pricing??
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

I haven't done my homework about the costs & pricing yet but would imagine for the PnP "single" at $ 50 included S & H and the PnP The Brick either side by side or tandem at $ 75 included S&H.
If wanted bare/no recoder there would be a reduction of $ 15 for the single and $ 30 for the The Brick.

I'm not ready to take orders yet as they are under testing.

To be noticed that this actuator have built in stops so it can't / wouldn't cycle and will give you the same amount of throw on all channels with no interference between them.

You should probably compare to some of the early high rate pulsing equipment quasi digital/proportional.

The recoders are also of a new generation and a work in progress as the software is under review.

I hope in the next month to have everything finalized and have them ready to be enjoyed.

FYI one set is now flying in a Fidget, Full House i.e. ailerons, elevator, rudder and it's a ball and I can assure it has turned many heads.

Keep in touch for more info to come.

Cheers

Tobe
Cheers,

Tobe
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

As I have been working on the new actuator it came up to me in how the "Recoder" has evolved too.
In the following picture you will see this evolution and shows the direction of an ongoing project,to create a Do It Yourself actuator with a suitable Recoder that is simple enough to print, build and program thus the choice of base i.e. Arduino Pro Mini or Nano and an option for the most experienced ones an alternative with a DigiSpark ATtiny85 .
The first one is what we used before the PnP actuator were created and was Pic based and the second in line of Recoders is what we are using today in the PnP and is based on a ATtiny85. The following one shows the progress of the DIY Recoder to where we are today i.e. 2 Arduino based and 2 DigiSpark ATtiny85 based.
The new line of Recoders is such that they work for one channel as two channel actuators due of the recoders capacity to detect if elevator is connected or not and if not it will go in a default mode running only the rudder, here it's important to point out that no connector should be removed from the receiver under the time the system is on and in use.
Stay tuned as more is to come in this DIY project.
Attachments
´The Recoder story by Tobe.jpg
Last edited by Tobe on 26 Feb 2020, 07:02, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,

Tobe
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Absolutley brilliant Tobe, Keep em coming!! :D

Ron
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
rudderonlybird

Post by rudderonlybird »

The side-by-side one resembles the original RAND 'Dual Pak' from the mid-Seventies.

I have a rather extensive collection of Model Airplane News magazines in hardback bindings, including the October, 1967 article "Field and Bench". There, a Top Flite 'Top Dawg' kit is reviewed, along with an Enya .09TV, using a Controlaire GG transmitter with the matching SH-100 receiver. That receiver had the relay removed for running a RAND Dual Pak (mis-spelled as "Dual Tak") GG actuator. Relay was removed as the RAND had a built-in switcher for more reliability. I've flown GG systems with the same Controlaire, and it had this habit of working for about 2 1/2 flights, using the LR-3 actuator and a relay. The Dual Pak retailed for $75 including a 1AH NiCd battery (same issue has an advert on page 58), so Tobe asking the same (less battery) for the actuator along with S&H would be very reasonable, indeed.

That's better than the Min-X Pulsemite 1200S given to be by a co-worker, as it never worked at all, even for him, the original buyer. I sent it to a tech many years ago who promised he could fix it, but it worked erratically for only a short time. I will be replacing the innards with one of Phil's modern boards (soon, I promise).

Marc
jmendoza

Post by jmendoza »

The side by side is just like the Rand Dual Pak high pulse rate actuator set-up. Hallco offered a side by side (SS) and a twin actuator (TA) version with the elevator servo as a separate component for installation flexibility. Basically, Tobe has re-created all the different combinations that Rand and Hallco offered, but with much better mechanics and electronics.

I am looking forward to trying one of these high rate dual actuator set-ups out in my Ace Wizard, which currently has the GG Tobe in it.

Tobe appears to have upgraded the electronics as in looking at the pictures above once can see a micro-processor under the driver board....nice!
My compliments to Tobe on this.

Jay
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Jay, while you are here (and going slightly off-topic for a moment!), can I draw your attention to the EK Logictrol thread, under "proportional" here?

There is an F&M set featured there, and while F&M were well known on this side of the pond in the reed and early proportional years, they seemed to disappear without trace! Even the RC Hall of Fame has very little history of what happened to them. I know the "Magnavac" servo severely dented their reputation, but they appeared to struggle on far a while after that. By that time, they had already pretty much ceased selling over here. Is there any chance you could pop over to that thread and add anything you know? There are a few of us who would be interested!

Cheers,

--
Pete
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

Tobe, I've acquired a few of your single Adams clones in trades with other members of Mode Zero, as yet I haven't got around to installing them in any aircraft. I've searched the threads that mention the Adams clones, and, have not yet found any mention of maximum running voltage (possibly there, haven't found yet), I don't want to damage any by over voltage, in IC aircraft I plan on using 4 cell 4.8volt receiver packs, Is that Ok? and if running electric power with the 5volt BEC's, is that too much? or, do I need to power the clones only to 3volts? I do have 3.3volt BEC's.

Can you write up an owners manual sheet on the operation, care and maintenance of Adams Clones?

Many Thanks,

Dave
Cheers,

Dave
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Hi Dave,
all my actuators works voltage wise the same and are intended for:
4 cell x 1,2v NiMh or the 5v from a BEC
Keep in mind however that 5 cell NiMh, the 6 volt option on a BEC or 2s LiFe would kill the electronics as there is no voltage regulator or reverse polarity protection.
Which versions of the clone did you got, a pic would help me to help you better
Cheers

Tobe
Cheers,

Tobe