Frank´s Reeds Radios

My favourite
tiptipflyer

Re: Frank´s Reeds Radios

Post by tiptipflyer »

Hallo Bruno,
there are some pro-mini clones on the market, which have the anlog inputs at the top or bottom end of the board. This is one of those, I got them some years ago in China. But on the telecont I use only one analog input for the low voltage alert. All other inputs on my sketch are digital ones.

Liebe Grüße
Frank
F2B

Post by F2B »

Vielen Dank!

I've been asking, because I remember a warning against using clones in critial locations like TX encoders where a failure would cause a certain crash or worse.
So now I'm investigating what to use.
I've been experimenting with these: https://www.banggood.com/Pro-Mini-ATMEG ... rehouse=UK
So far they've performed flawlessly.
One of the projects is a CL handle with PWM generator, controlling the ESC through insulated lines. Made for my buddy's (electric) Basic Carrier Deck project: http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/threads/pr ... er.246804/
The handle with the Pro Mini:
ImageImage

But now I'm ready for experimenting with a TX encoder, I thought I'd better look for something with a good reputation. But like said I need them with all connections on the outside (0.1 veroboard).
Or am I overthinking this and should I use the ones I'm already have experience with?
F2B or not to be....
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Meanwhile I converted well over 30 transmitters and always used cheap pro-mini, or nano clones from different providers from China. I got at least three different pro-mini versions, two nano versions and two versions from the new board. I never had a problem or issue with those. They all work great.

Frank
F2B

Post by F2B »

Thanks again!
You more or less confirmed what I was thinking as well.
Suspecting the on board voltage regulator to be the weakest link in the chain. But a good 'burn in' might expose future problems there.
I'll give it a go with the ones I've got.
Starting off with a Simprop Star 12 conversion, I'll sneak in a connector for a SC button. Hoping to fly a replica of my first RC model, a Topsy.
When that works out, I'll make a dedicated SC Tx.
F2B or not to be....
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

After a long building break (regarding Txs) here comes my latest replica.
It is a 4 channel reeds russian Pilot4 replica, normally a two funtion, rudder and elevator radio.
This one still has only two funtions (4channels), but with three different modes.
Mode 0: Rudder and elevator reeds with trim on both.
Mode 1: Rudder and progressive throttle with rudder trim.
Mode 2: Rudder, kick-up elevator and sequential throttle with full rudder and elevator trim
On mode 2, the left toggle switch is used for either elevator, progressive throttle, or a combination of kick-up elevator (up) and sequential throttle (down).
Mode will be selected, when switching on by using a two-way power-switch and the trim button in addition.
It also features servo reverse on rudder and elevator, inactivity alert, low voltage alert and a multifunction OLED display with 8 pages.
I like to thank especially Phil for the inspiration and his code, this one is based on,
and Ron and Martin for the display code, this one is also based on.
The transmitter uses two Arduino pro-minis, one for the pulse generator and one for the display. HF comes from an Orange 2.4GHz module and power is a 2s PP3 lipo.
The case is 3D printed. The decal is not the final version yet, it will be changed soon again for a more accurate one.
It works great, but flight test will be, when the weather improves.
Pilot4e.JPG
Pilot4c.JPG
Pilot4d.JPG
Cheers
Frank
P.S. The next replica is on the workbench, so stay tuned.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Cracking job Frank, that ones truly unique. Did you know there was a Russian copy of the ED ground based transmitter. I knew a guy who bought one from eBay years ago that was listed as a square metal box with electronic stuff inside and weird writing on the label. Sad thing was he ripped the guts out and uses it as a tool box.. heathen :(

Cheers,

Shaun
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Congratulations Frank - another fabulous Tx ;) :P

Re the 3D printed case.--> PLA with filler then "hammer tone" paint?? Are there any restrictions on types of filler or paint (e. g. Acrylic only) so as not to damage the filament??
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Thanks Wayne,
like you said, it is just PLA, filler and hammertone paint. There are no restrictions regarding the paint on PLA.
All types, I tried worked well.
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Today was flight-test time for the russian replica. Everything worked out great, I tried mode1 and mode2 flying my Tomboy.

Frank