Frank´s Reeds Radios

My favourite
tiptipflyer

Frank´s Reeds Radios

Post by tiptipflyer »

Here you see one of my latest conversions, a MacGregor Codamac. Beeing a S/C radio with coder before, it is now a three channel reeds radio for rudder and sequential throttle.
It uses an Attiny 84 chip on a custom made PCB and a Futaba style 35Mhz module. I had to modify the coder (rudder) switch. It has servo reverse and trim on rudder, low voltage and inactivity alert and three possition throttle.
Flight-test is already done with a Graupner Topsy. Works great of course.
SAM_3093.JPG
SAM_3095.JPG
Topsy6k.jpg
Cheers
Frank
tiptipflyer

Re: Frank´s Reeds Radios

Post by tiptipflyer »

One of my replica transmitters. Three (6) channels, rudder elevator, throttle, trim. 35MHz module.
CitizenShip.JPG
CitizenShip5.JPG
Cheers
Frank
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Some more replica transmitters, all use Phil´s Tiny 6 chip and either Futaba 35MHz or Orange 2.4G modules.
CS Hawk1.JPG
CSHawk2.JPG
Deltron6Kb.JPG
Cheers
Frank
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Love the Deltron Frank

What sort of reaction do you get at your flying field when your testing out your different Transmitters?

Most members of our club are used to me now bringing different txs for a test. I think at first they thought I was mad :D

Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Here are some Variophon Reeds conversions. The 10s transmitters uses Phils pic 10channel reeds encoder.
The Variophon 2/4 has rudder, elevator and throttle with full trim using an Arduino pro mini.
Another version of the 2/4 uses a special Arduino programm with rudder on the stick, sequential throttle on upper button and kick up elevator on lower button. Full trim on rudder and elevator.
A futur version on the small Variophon will have two modes, mode 1 will have reeds rudder and elevator, mode 2 will have reeds rudder and throttle. Both modes are selectable during startup of transmitter. The heart will be an Attiny84 on a special made PCB. The electronic part is ready, just need it to install in the transmitter.
All use Futaba style 35MHz modules.
Variophon10S35MHz.JPG
Variophon2.JPG
Variophon2d.JPG
Cheers
Frank
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

My clubmates first said, I am crazy and out of this world. First, some were concerned, that I, with my homebrew stuff, could interfere with their modern radios. Now most of them know about it and they leave me alone and are even brave enough to fly with me together. But only one was bold enough to try one of my reeds radios, and none would try S/C.
One thing I like to say, I never had some kind of interference or problems or trouble with one of the homebrew or converted radios.
Cheers
Frank
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Nice one frank.
That’s pretty much the same story for me.
My favourite comment one afternoon was “That’s the best landing we’ve had all day” and that was flying a shark face on the button!! :lol:

Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

This time no replica but a genuine old robbe telecont transmitter converted to 9 channel reeds using an arduino pro mini and my reeds sketch. Not much inside the case anymore.
It features aileron, rudder, elevator, throttle and trim, plus inactivity buzzer, servo reverse, low battery alert, etc. Look at that beautiful leather case.
Works great.
telecont2.JPG
telecont4.JPG
Cheers
Frank
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Now it´s replica time again.
Here are two of my Engel Multiplex 3x4 replica reeds transmitters. The first version uses Phil´s 10ch PIC encoder on 2.4G, the second version uses Phil´s reeduino encoder and Matin´s display on both 2.4G and 35MHz.
The first version is my most used reeds transmitter. I have it for years now without any trouble. The second version is more comfortable and more versatile, it also works perfect.
Multiplex3x4.JPG
Multiplex3x4a.JPG
Multiplex3x4d.JPG
Cheers
Frank
F2B

Post by F2B »

tiptipflyer wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 17:42 This time no replica but a genuine old robbe telecont transmitter converted to 9 channel reeds using an arduino pro mini and my reeds sketch. Not much inside the case anymore.
It features aileron, rudder, elevator, throttle and trim, plus inactivity buzzer, servo reverse, low battery alert, etc. Look at that beautiful leather case.
Works great.
telecont2.JPGtelecont4.JPG
Cheers
Frank
What's that Pro Mini like device in your Telecont conversion?
I'm looking for a reliable one that has all connections at the edges and not two analog inputs in the middle of the board....

Grüβe, Bruno
F2B or not to be....