Repost: Another Tiny-6 in RCS10 case

My favourite
Spike S

Repost: Another Tiny-6 in RCS10 case

Post by Spike S »

Reposted from Dec 2016 on behalf of Mike (Spike S):

Now I have finished working on Twitcher's Guidance System s/c Tx, I have been able to complete my Tiny-6 Reeds.

All the original RCS levers and switches are used while the Trim lever when pressed in either direction is doing the job of Phil's trim button. The coder board is on Veroboard with standard RC connectors. RF is an Orange diy module that eventually arrived from HK after a 3 month wait. Currently using a 3S 850 LiPo, mainly because I don't have any 2S at the moment.

The bind button and its led have been left inside as it is easy to pop the back off without any tools. The analogue meter has been connected and calibrated since that photo was taken.

It is all working as intended so I look forward to flying this very soon to revisit my Reedy roots.
file6381.jpg
file6381.jpg (38.29 KiB) Viewed 2648 times
file6d5b.jpg
file6d5b.jpg (38.2 KiB) Viewed 2648 times
fileffcc.jpg
fileffcc.jpg (46.86 KiB) Viewed 2648 times
Spike S

(Tune for maximum smoke)
Spike S

Re: Another Tiny-6 in RCS10 case
Postby no1dieselman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:18 pm

Its really nice but it is such a shame that you let one of those lovely switches go to waste.

Doug

Postby Spike S » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:48 pm

All in good time, Doug. :)

Having said that, the Tiny-6 with trim on everything is equivalent to a 12ch Reeds setup and will be CAR as well. Who needs more functions ?
Spike S

(Tune for maximum smoke)
Spike S

Postby 2.4g shaun » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:13 am

Hi Spike ,

I'm intrigued. How do you get rudder ,ele, aileron, throttle, Aux and trim from a tiny six.
Do you need to know someone from Hogwarts .:-) :-) :-)

Shaun

Postby Spike S » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:00 am

"Do you need to know someone from Hogwarts" - Do you remember "Izzy wizzy, let's get busy" ? After short trousers and learning to fly aeros with an RCS Inter 6 (non-simul), Tiny-6 is more than adequately magic :)

Did anyone ever use the tone 11 & 12 "AUX" channel for anything aerodynamically useful back then, or was it just a sales hook for flightline posers ?
Spike S

Postby Spike S » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:54 pm

Maidened my RCS10 today. :D
To establish actual airborne range, I installed the DSM2 Rx in my 87" Privateer in a 'Wireless Buddy-box' multiplexed two-Rx system, my usual Futaba FASST being the Master.
After the fog had cleared, I performed the usual ground range checks then launched the model and climbed to height using the FASST system. At extreme range and height (visual) I switched over to the DSM2 Reeds system and was delighted to see no glitches whatsoever. Without a well-known and stable model, I would not have had the balls to put one Tx down and pick up the RCS !
30 minutes later and several reeds-controlled launches and landings, all on the patch, gave me much-needed faith in the new system and a realisation that I could still fly Reeds after an interval of many Decades. It's not instinctive yet but I can now put the system into other models with growing confidence.
One thing that did surprise me is that I used the Throttle more than the Elevator for Pitch control. However, with a large 'guided-free flight' model, I should really have anticipated that. I also found that the surface movements needed to be less than half of what had been used with Propo.

The wireless Buddy system is useful and can provide Reeds training in safety for others who wish to try it for the first time.

No pics this time as I was unaccompanied. Although I flew in warm(ish) sunshine, the early fog must have discouraged everyone else.
Spike S

Postby Phil_G » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:32 pm
yeoflittlefaith1.jpg
:D
Phil_G

Postby Spike S » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:51 pm

Thanks, Phil. Like the cartoon.
However, after a career in Aviation, and several 'near-religious' experiences, I believe that Faith is subordinated by Murphy's Law :oops:
filedbef.jpg
filedbef.jpg (24.55 KiB) Viewed 2648 times
Spike S

(Tune for maximum smoke)
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
Spike S

Re: Repost: Another Tiny-6 in RCS10 case

Post by Spike S »

My Tiny 6 has now flown both the Privateer (very sedate) and the Swannee (bum-clenching). This pic taken during a South Oxford Nostalgistas gathering in Feb 2017. :D
DSCF3525c.jpg
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
Spike S

Re: Repost: Another Tiny-6 in RCS10 case

Post by Spike S »

Swannee on reeds is no longer "bum-clenching" now I have un-learned all my bad propo habits and the model is properly in trim. :D
It also helps (a lot) not to push the Elevator lever forward when I meant to add a little Throttle on short Finals. :oops:

"A good landing you can walk away from. A superb landing, you can use the aeroplane again"
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)