Repost: RCS Inter-6 Reeds conversion/refit (Tiny6 encoder)

My favourite
Phil_G

Repost: RCS Inter-6 Reeds conversion/refit (Tiny6 encoder)

Post by Phil_G »

RCS Inter-6 Reeds conversion/refit
Postby Phil_G » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:55 pm

Shaun tipped me off to a nice RCS Inter-6 on ebay recently, I've been after a genuine period 6ch reeds transmitter for a while as the only Tiny-6 I have is my original prototype in its Maplin box. Heres the ebay photo of the RCS as it was auctioned:
rcsinter6_ebay.jpg

It needed a good scrub up and there is some light corrosion, but at least the irreplaceable RCS logo was intact!
The internal PCB was carefully removed and stored 'just in case' :D , bit if a faff as the toggles are mounted directly to the PCB!

The module is a Frsky V8HT which was kindly donated by Alex who has mostly reverted to 35mhz - thanks Alex!
All the heavyweight twin-&-earth Frsky wiring was removed and the bind-board discarded as usual:
rcsinter6_diy.jpg

The encoder is a standard Tiny-6, in Futaba channel order (AETR). It gives 6 emulated tri-simul reeds channels (3 function), with trim on all channels, servo reversing, choice of two servo-slow speeds and a range check sweep mode:
tiny6vero5.jpg

First job is to clean the old lever contacts, attach the biasing resistors, and wire up the toggles:
rcsinter6_toggles.jpg

At this stage, before connecting the RF module, I add the battery and make sure everything works so far, that we get good ppm and the buzzer is working:
(this is where you realise why we call this the Tiny 6 encoder!
rcsinter6_enc.jpg

With everything working as expected, the Frsky V8HT module was mounted at the top of the front panel, with the LED discretely under the handle:
Not the tidiest of conversions, maybe I should have let Ron do it for me :D :D :D
I really, really wanted to make this a pristine installation, a showpiece I'd be happy to publish - unfortunately it seems I just don't have the presentation skills some of you lot have and despite my best efforts I'd hardly call it tidy. It works!

Eagle-eyes will notice that I've not mounted the trim button yet - its a temporary one, I've ordered a much smaller 4mm one which will be easier to hide.
rcsinter6_inside.jpg

And here's the finished transmitter, working better than new and good to go when the wind stops blowing!
rcsinter6_done.jpg
And heres the RCS with my trusty Impala at Callow. Just above the RCS logo you can see the discrete
'trim' button:
tiny6_impala.jpg
Cheers
Phil

Re: RCS Inter-6 Reeds conversion/refit
Postby AlexC » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:24 pm

Looks fine. You made a good job of cleaning the case without damaging any of the text.
Alex

Re: RCS Inter-6 Reeds conversion/refit
Postby Phil_G » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:13 am

It never occurred to me me that the RCS Inter-6 wasnt simultaneous but I was in the shed looking at the original pcb and there is only the one audio-oscillator with various resistors and presets switched in by the toggles. It wasnt simul at all !

This means that on the original RCS Inter-6, you could give rudder, elevator & throttle commands individually, but not at the same time!
So no full up/full rudder spins, no rudder & elevator barrel-rolls, no steering whilst holding down when inverted...
On a rudder/elevator/throttle 6ch reeds model you'd also have no in-flight trims at all. All trimming adjustments were done on the ground with the clevises!

Cheers
Phil
Spike S

Re: RCS Inter-6 Reeds conversion/refit (Tiny6 encoder)

Post by Spike S »

"On a rudder/elevator/throttle 6ch reeds model you'd also have no in-flight trims at all. All trimming adjustments were done on the ground with the clevises!"
And that remains a good discipline ! (Propo just masks lots of bad habits)
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)