Reed Tx (at last) - Reeduino 12ch

My favourite
Wayne_H

Reed Tx (at last) - Reeduino 12ch

Post by Wayne_H »

After much procrastination, I finally extracted the digit & made myself a reed tx :D :shock: It is a full 12 channel Reeduino with compound single channel (I've never flown sequential), V-Tail mix and Auxiliary function, using Phil's code running on a blue 328P board. Never being one to do things the easy way, I thought I'd share some of my "experiences" during the building & commissioning. :?

The Case:
As a typical frugal (aka tight) modeller I re-purposed an old aluminium project case that I had in stock from a home made 2 channel radio from the mid-70's. The level of metal working skills(?) I exhibited at the time are evident in the pictures - as much a reflection of my haste as anything else!
Case_Inside_before_1.jpg
Case_Outside_before_1.jpg
Anyway, the question was how to fill all those holes and make the case usable? After I cleaned the original covering off the case, I thoroughly cleaned it inside and out, focusing on removing all traces of adhesive. I then filed and rubbed down all the cutouts removing all burrs. After another thorough clean, I then placed Kaptan tape on the outside over all holes in the case, making sure to pull it as taught as possible. I then turned the case over onto its face and filled all the holes with 30 minute epoxy, the whole lot then being cured in the oven at 100C for about an hour. After filing any excess resin off internally, I then glued a piece of 3mm ply to the inside of the case front - it's purpose was 2-fold; to provide additional support to the resin in-fills in the numerous old holes and to hopefully provide a more consistent resistance to the drill bits when I started drilling all the new holes.
case holes filled.jpg
case internal ply backing.jpg
All the holes were then marked out on the outside of the case prior to drilling. I tried to position all of them in aluminum sections of the case rather then in a resin in-fill, for the most part succeeding. Even though I drilled very carefully using sharp bits, a few holes "walked" a little bit at any aluminium-resin junction as the bit size increased. Its noticeable to me, but if others have noticed, they have been too polite to comment! :oops:

Black automotive vinyl cladding was used to hide the many past sins. It stuck extremely well, and to my surprise even showed up the Kaptan tape overlaps, and that tape is pretty thin!!

Switches and pots:
I initially used guitar switches sourced via eBay, modified as per discussions on the previous forum. Unfortunately, these were obviously the cheap versions. I found that while fiddling on the bench, if the switch toggles were moved regularly past about 1/2 travel in either direction, the leaf spring contacts would deform (i.e. the metal in the spring contacts was too soft), making the reliability deteriorate over time and the switch action intermittent as well as feel spongy.
with the original cheap eBay guitar switches
with the original cheap eBay guitar switches
I happened upon another switch on eBay available from a local supplier here in Aus. These turned out to have a very positive action while not needing excessive force to operate. The included black rubber boots match the black case as well as improving the appearance and comfort of the switches.
new switch.jpg
with the new switches installed
with the new switches installed
I have since ordered replacement guitar switches, which from the pictures at least, look like the ones used by others in their reed Txs.

Initially, I have installed the travel speed pot on the top of the case. It is mounted in the hole cut for a telescopic antenna base. When I'm comfortable with the servo travel speed, I'll probably move the pot internal.

Module mounting:
The FrSky module is mounted on its side. I utilised the ply plate glued inside the case by cutting a groove into it to insert one of the two locking tongues on the module. A ply gusset keeps the module vertical, the module then held in place by a rubber band looped around the other locking tongue to a screw in the gusset – Simple and crude but effective ;) .
module mounting detail.jpg
This simple arrangement enables me to swap modules easily as well as ultimately use the 29, 36 & 40MHz modules & numerous Rx's I have. The hole for the telescopic antenna is already cut, I just have to fit the antenna base fitting. With the rear case cover removed I have ready access to the module for binding and the back of the module for the connector.

Software:
As stated previously, Phil's Reeduino code is used. The only changes were to amend the code to use JR channel sequence and the auxiliary channel. Both easy to do following Phil's instructions in the code. I used a 3 position switch for the auxiliary channel wired the same as the main self-centering guitar switches. The auxiliary servo travels to either extreme when the switch is in the first or third positions, but stops when the switch is placed into the second/middle position, similar to the trim function.

Labels:
Taking a leaf out of Ron's book (as well as pinching some of his examples :o :oops: ), I've made up suitable labels for the front & rear of the Tx. When finished & installed, these will improve the Tx’s appearance noticeably as well as hiding some of the imperfections on the front of the case!
Reeduino12.jpg
SERIAL.jpg
SERIAL.jpg (22.03 KiB) Viewed 4395 times
The Final Product:
The completed Tx works exactly as it should - most satisfying :D :lol: Thanks Phil for developing and sharing the code :) ;) Hopefully, somebody may glean a useful idea or two from my experiences building my Reeduino.

What to Fly it in?
It's well over 45 years since I flew with a reed set, and that was in a glider :P . Consequently, I'll need to build something suitable to get the brain and fingers sufficiently coordinated with this new old Tx configuration 8-) . Some months back, I bought a Club Trainer fuselage from Hobby King for just a few dollars. That will be the basis for my Reed (re)Trainer. I shall post pictures & a flying report later.......
m2_1__2.jpg
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Wayne_H

Re: Reed Tx (at last) - Reeduino 12ch

Post by Wayne_H »

Just a few pics of the completed Tx with labels and new switches as per previous post. I haven't decided yet as to whether to include a battery meter or indicator - the buzzer works fine!
with new switches.jpg
finished back.jpg
finished front.jpg

I've started on the reed (re)trainer - will post progress on that separately.
Cheers,

Wayne
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Good on ya Wayne, it looks the biz! :P
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Well, I finally got around to flying a model with the Reeduino :o :shock: The radio performed flawlessly, of course :D

I took the safe option & used my old faithful Amigo ll, much flown & totally reliable.
Amigo ll with reeds_1s.jpg

Thanks again Phil for a great project ;)
Cheers,

Wayne
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Very nice.
I flew my Impala on reeds 2 weekends ago on the last of the gentle summer Nor Easterly breeze.
I enjoy reeds on the slope more than single channel as I don't spend the entire flight wondering how the hell I'm going to land.
Great way to spend an afternoon.
Enjoy it.

Al
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Phil_G wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 12:36 Thanks Wayne, that made me smile especially the 'before' and 'after' photos of the 'swiss cheese' case :D
Those toggles look interesting - can you post a link please?
Cheers
Phil
Phil,

This is the only link I could find to a switch with dual momentary ON action - its to the Aussie supplier I got mine from over a year ago, but they are currently listed as out of stock. There are plenty of similar on/off/on switches with the same switch body but latching action on one or both sides. I'm sure there are other suppliers out there.
Cheers,

Wayne
TomWatson

Post by TomWatson »

Hi Wayne,

I have a Tiny 6 from Phil, Works very well. See pic in my post. I have ordered a 12 channel encoder from Phil and I am going to make a box from .8mm aluminium.
I have flown turbines at Temora in the past. I also have a single channel set and just getting going a Galloping Ghost set.
The old radios are great fun and cause a stir at the club.

Regards

Tom Watson