RCS Inter-6 finished (almost!)

My favourite
PaulJ

RCS Inter-6 finished (almost!)

Post by PaulJ »

After much faffing around, I have finally got my RCS Inter-6 up and running :). When I got it, it had lots of battle scars and, to put it mildly, looked it's age........ A can of Lidl's silver hammer finish paint improved the case enormously and I had to remove and repair the RCS logo on the front. Two of the control switches were quite badly corroded and required dismantling and rebuilding and the ON/OFF switch was intermittent and had to be replaced with something that looked right. I am more or less "locked in" to Spektrum DSM2/DSMX so the Tx module is an Orange DIY and Phil supplied one of his "Reeduino" Tiny-6 encoders........
Inter-6 a.jpg
Inter-6b.jpg
To cut a long story a bit shorter....... On first switch on, the correct lights seemed to come on but nothing seemed to work as it should........ TRAP FOR THE UNWARY!....... I had ordered some black push buttons for the Trim and Bind functions because I thought they would look more like those RCS might have used back in the day. Unbeknown to me, I was supplied with PUSH TO BREAK buttons (I didn't know they made such things!) instead of the more usual PUSH TO MAKE. Phil thought that I wouldn't have damaged the encoder but when I replaced the push buttons with the correct ones, it still wouldn't work :cry:. Though I was convinced that the problem was caused by something I had done, Phil kindly replaced the encoder with the latest version of board and this time everything worked perfectly first time! :D. After testing the Reeduino Phil thinks that it was just a rogue board (I guess it happens) :roll:. I still have to make a frequency pennant to hide the antenna and one of these days I will make up a nice big dummy "Ever Ready" battery using Ron's templates but now, at last, I have the set I yearned for but could never afford when I was 18! :P
Spike S

Re: RCS Inter-6 finished (almost!)

Post by Spike S »

Nice job, Paul
I've been looking for an RCS6 case for years as that was my first 'real' set after building Terrytones etc. This season I have been having loads of nostalgia flying my Swannee on reeds with Phil's Tiny6 in an RCS10 case.

All you have to do now is un-learn all your Propo 'Muscle Memory' habits !
Fortunately my patch was surrounded by forgiving barley when I inadvertently pushed the Elevator lever when wanting more power to overshoot an approach :oops: I'm getting better now. :D
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hi Paul,

Where are Ron's battery template scans located. I collated about 60 various battery scans years ago for Phils & my website so it would be good if they were added into the archive as a single resource. Listed under H-02

The RCS reed set is still my favourite. If anybody else is considering making one I redid the front logo for the 10 channel version. I have it in Adobe format but when I tried to attach it it comes up as an invalid file format.

Shaun
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Shaun wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 11:52 Where are Ron's battery template scans located.
Ah!...... Sorry Shaun, maybe I attributed the Battery templates wrongly. I knew I had seen them somewhere and I am pretty sure Ron posted some dummy batteries so I just assumed that is where they came from. I stand corrected. :oops:

Paul
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hi Paul,

Not bothered about then glory :lol: just thought there may be some new scans to add into the archive collection.

Shaun