Mainstream 1+1 revisited

Single to Multi propo
Wayne_H

Mainstream 1+1 revisited

Post by Wayne_H »

Since I did the conversion of my Mainstream 1+1, as detailed in the previous forum, I've logged up some hours with it. That experience identified a deficiency with the original motor switch, which have now fixed, so I thought I'd share the problem & my solution.

Before I do, a brief pictorial recap on the original conversion:
external before and after comparison
external before and after comparison
internal before and after comparison
internal before and after comparison

The original motor switch was a large white panel mounted switch, spring loaded normally open, which I cleaned as best I could during the original conversion. Replacing the switch was difficult because of the physical size of the switch and the associated cutout in the front face of the Tx. When flying my Cardinal & Weekender, it served well. In hindsight, both models were relatively sedate, so changes in motor setting were 'casual' & tended to be well spaced out.

However, I fitted a new motor to the Weekender which made it very zippy and lovely to do aerobatics with. With full power it climbs away at a constant 30-40 degrees, reducing to a speck very quickly if left uninterrupted. Medium power emulates what it used to be like at full power :shock: . Now, when doing aerobatics, I use the motor a lot more to regulate speed and rate of climb & that is when the switch problem manifests itself. The original switch is very 'hard' and selected motor changes would sometimes jump or miss a step, which mucked up wing-overs, consecutive cuban-eights, rolls and loops, etc. What to do?

I went through my box of switches & found a small micro switch which looked like it would fit inside the original switch housing. Judicious use of a sharp knife and a fine routing bit in the Dremel had the micro-switch fitted relatively quickly inside the old switch housing.
original switch with internals removed
original switch with internals removed
original switch with internals removed & the replacement micro-switch alongside for comparison. Most surgery was on the rocker which had to be completely hollowed out and a rebate made in one end to fit over the lever of the micro-switch
original switch with internals removed & the replacement micro-switch alongside for comparison. Most surgery was on the rocker which had to be completely hollowed out and a rebate made in one end to fit over the lever of the micro-switch
micro-switch fitted_1.jpg
micro-switch fitted_2.jpg
Now the switch action is light and positive - I plan to test fly it on the weekend.
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Shaun

Re: Mainstream 1+1 revisited

Post by Shaun »

Yes , great out of the box thinking.

The original switches were atrocious but it was the cheapest 1+1 on the market at the time.

I still use the pic encoder in my original MacG conversion.. Works perfectly so not planning on changing it.

Have you still got the rx and servos?

Shaun.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Shaun wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 01:36
..........The original switches were atrocious but it was the cheapest 1+1 on the market at the time.

I still use the pic encoder in my original MacG conversion.. Works perfectly so not planning on changing it.

Have you still got the rx and servos?

Shaun.
Thanks guys - I test flew it this morning & it worked perfectly. I didn't realise just how bad the original switch was until I used the "new & improved" version :)

Unfortunately Shaun I never had the Rx or servos :( While I'm very pleased with the ATTiny version in my other Tx, I have no intention of updating Phil's PIC version in the Mainstream- it works perfectly, so why change? Besides, since it's now been relegated to history, its now retro retro :roll: :P :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

I've never seen a Mainstream 1+1 in the flesh, I'd assumed from the pictures that the rocker was the on/off switch - so its a pushbutton? I've an RS Navigator S/C set with a 'rocker pushbutton'.
Feels a bit strange but works ok and matches the on/off switch nicely:
rsnavigator.jpg
Actually I've replaced the original switches, I couldnt find white ones so used black, but if you're not bothered by the colour they are still available.
rs_navigator_24g.jpg
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

I have a new replica transmitter on the way, but not finished yet. Just the outside is ready, I still have to do the wiring, put the module in and program the Attiny.
SAM_3316.JPG
SAM_3317.JPG
Stay tuned
Frank
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Nice one frank.
Nice looking set, you’ve done a good job there.

Is it one of your custom designed 3D cases?

Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Yes Ron, it is drawn with OpenSCAD and 3D-printed. The logo is made the usual way, printed on clear film, put on chrome vinyl. It will be finished in the next days.

Frank
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

The Mainstream 1+1 transmitter replica is ready for flying. It has one prop channel (rudder) and progressive throttle on the white two way momentary switch, which I put in now.
HF comes from a Futaba style 35MHz module , and the brain is an Arduino pro mini. Power comes from a 2S 600 lipo.
It features servo reverse and D/R on rudder, progressive throttle like a reeds radio, inactivity alert and low voltage alert (below 7.4V).
No problems during construction and programming, it did work right away.
The enclosure was drawn with OpenSCAD and 3D-printed.
SAM_3326.JPG
SAM_3325.JPG
If someone fancies a remake, the stl files and Openscad files will be available soon in the 3D files section.

Cheers
Frank
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Frank,

That looks absolutely great! Well done ;)

My original is now with Shaun for the museum. Seeing your splendid replica makes me think I now need a replacement :cry: ........... :lol: :lol:

Actually, a 2+1 for GG use in the same case does appeal to me.
Cheers,

Wayne
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Thanks Wayne,
if you find the time, go ahead and build one as a GG set. You find the drawings for the case in the 3-D section.
If you or someone else need a layout for the decal, I will post it again in this forum.
I just flew my replica this morning with a Graupner Topsy. It´s working great.
Cheers
Frank