RS Systems 6CH Single Stick Conversion

Single to Multi propo
Al Clark

RS Systems 6CH Single Stick Conversion

Post by Al Clark »

When I was in college in the early 70s, I lusted after RS Systems radios. At the time RS radios had the smallest receiver, fastest servos, and used Mil-Spec components; they were the top dog. Of course I had little money then and settled for a pulse proportional rudder-only radio set which I learned to fly with.

Recently the opportunity arose to acquire a 1974 RS 6CH SS radio, and I snapped it up. I've restored it and installed all-new electronics and wiring. The original Electro-Mech RF meter had failed and there are no replacements available, so I replaced it with a digital voltmeter. 3D printing came in handy for this conversion, providing an antenna mount that let me use the original PL-259 type connection; an encoder board mount; a frequency placard to fit into the hole left over from removing the original RF board; and a voltmeter mount.

Many thanks to Phil Green who provided the programmed 7CH Encoder; it performs well. I've added two switches to the top of the TX to control the timer and the throttle cut (I fly electrics these days). At this point I don't intend to use Expo or Rates. Thanks to Martin on this forum for providing the RF Module connections identification. The RF module is a Banggood 4-in-1 multi-protocall unit.

After 46 years I finally have my RS Systems radio!

Attached are a few pix, the last four of which show the TX in its original condition. The voltmeter digits actually look much better than the photo shows.
Attachments
rs6ss_12a.JPG
rs6ss_10a.JPG
rs6ss_08a.JPG
rs6ss_07a.JPG
rs6ss_06a.JPG
rs6ss_05a.JPG
rs6ss_04b.jpg
rs6ss_04a.JPG
rs6ss_03a.JPG
rs6ss_01a.JPG
Last edited by Al Clark on 13 Jul 2020, 02:41, edited 1 time in total.
Al Clark
WernerL

Re: RS Systems 6CH Single Stick Conversion

Post by WernerL »

What a beautiful transmitter and neatly done conversion.
I love single stick radios.

thumbs up, Werner
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Top job Al, congrats👍

I can guarantee your already thinking of the next few candidate radios for conversion ...... the bug has bit!! :lol: :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Al Clark

Post by Al Clark »

Phil, Werner, Wayne,
Thanks for the kind words! Yes, Wayne you are correct, I am watching the classifieds for more RS radios. I might even consider some of the 70's Kraft radios since I owned a few back then. Being a Geezer (68 yrs old) I have a special affinity for the radios that used nice rectangular metal cases. I started watching RC in 1960 when I was 8 years old. Back then guys were using transmitters that sat on the ground and they had handles with buttons to give inputs to the transmitters. Then they started flying reeds, and around 1965 one of the guys got a Citizenship Analog proportional radio. I recall that radio cost $450 in 1965; equivalent to more than $3600 now. I would not want to pay over $3600 for a basic 4 channel radio with much less reliability than our modern radios!
Al Clark
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

'Lovely job Al but be careful.......... converting old radios does become addictive. I started with my old Skyleader and now I've done 26 more. Phil has a lot to answer for! :P

Paul
Al Clark

Post by Al Clark »

Thanks, Paul! Wow, 26 conversions! Does your wife know? 8-)

Yes, I think you all are correct saying I will be doing more. Just a few hours ago bought two Proline Competition 6 transmitters off RC Groups Classifieds. So I will be needing more encoders and RF modules soon.
Al Clark