Reftec 2.4 Conversion

Single to Multi propo
RobertC

Reftec 2.4 Conversion

Post by RobertC »

Evening everyone, thanks for the add Phil and Ron, appreciated.....

Anyway, I know these conversions are old hat to most people, but to me ,along with the discovery of Phils fantastic encoder board ,I am like a kid in a toy shop again, all my toot can now be reused without fear of glitches and associated ills of the older systems....
My first conversion was this Reftec 459 mhz set, got several of these but thought one for old times sake I can use again, the original system for its time was good far better than 27megs, but one big downfall , the receiver had an if board which had a frequency of 27 megs, so if it came into close proximity of A 27meg Tx, hey presto , stopped working......they were also fraught with dry joints as they aged.....
Below are before and after pics, I used an Orange Rx DSM tx module, removed from its case to reduce overall size of it, and of course the 'Famed' PhilG encoder boards stashed in the bottom right hand corner, along with a modern day dsm Rx of which I use, shown below along side the original enormous Reftec receiver, the Tx is powered by a 2s 7.4 volt LiPo battery ( I know there's a pp3 shown , that's been changed since pic taken) , and so far have proved to be enjoyable to use it and a doddle to set up ....

Rob

Img_0070.jpg
Img_0071.jpg
IMG_0074.jpg
IMG_0075.jpg
Img_0077.jpg
Phil_G

Re: Reftec 2.4 Conversion

Post by Phil_G »

I think that yours may well be the very first and only Reftec conversion Rob, I've a (standard) couple but neither is in anywhere near as good condition as yours :D Somewhere I also have a Cotswold UHF and as you probably know Pete Christy flies his helis on the Talisman UHF set he designed way for World Engines way back when!
If you're short on space the EBL PP3 lithium batteries are very good - me & Frank use them quite a lot, they're 2S 600mAh so perfectly ok for transmitters: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=81&p=1359#p1359 and viewtopic.php?f=62&t=130
Did you get the two meters working too?
Cheers
Phil
RobertC

Re: Reftec 2.4 Conversion

Post by RobertC »

Thanks Phil for the heads up on the pp3 alternative...
Regards to meters, the voltage one was relatively easy as you know, the output power is in hand, I think refetec from how I see the wiring , it used to read the current drawn on the rf board and associated that with a rough rf output, it was not as far as I am aware a 'true' rf meter, although I could stand corrected........
I shall probably utilise the 7 channel set as well eventually, but i'm really in need of some 'diy' rf modules of a smaller size than the orange ones I use presently,,,,,,,