OS Diamond 6 GX

Single to Multi propo
stuart mackay

OS Diamond 6 GX

Post by stuart mackay »

A lucky conversation at the flying field on Tuesday resulted in a one owner OS Diamond 6 finding it's way into my stewardship.
The original owner Ian Platt had bought it around 1979 from Galaxy Models in Thetford when he was serving at RAF Honington with the legendary Buccaneers based there back then.
Ian also had a well used, boxed and complet OS Cougar Mark II.
I have since cleaned and serviced both radios and the replacement of the switch wiring and the addition of modern NimH batteries has seen both transmitters radiating on 27 MHz.

To see that I am chuffed to have found another unicorn of the late 70s would be an understatement!!

Feel so privileged to not have one but two of these rare beasts preserved for future generations to enjoy and thought I share them with the Forum membership.

20231019_115453.jpg
20231017_172125.jpg
20231018_182345.jpg
20231019_110626.jpg
Last edited by stuart mackay on 19 Oct 2023, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
leccyflyer

Re: OS Diamond 6 GX

Post by leccyflyer »

Wow - that set just oozes quality. Have never seen one of those before - an excellent find.
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Brian, they were very rare back in period, and I feel so lucky to have unearthed them.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Very nice find 🙂

I like the "Radiation" meter!
F2B

Post by F2B »

Ian Platt? Dave's brother?
F2B or not to be....
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

No relation, Bruno! :D
F2B

Post by F2B »

I asked, because years ago we met -while on holiday in England- a couple that were interested in our Bluegrass music.
Apart from holiday making, we were also touring some folkclubs, hence we had the boot full of instruments and small sound equipment.
By some twist of faith, while loading up in the morning at the B&B, another couple asked us what stuff we played and we ended up playing 3 songs or so in the backyard. While packing up again, the man noticed the AMA sticker on my banjo case and asked if I was into Aeromodelling.
I showed him my foam delta slope soarer -always traveling on top of the luggage) and no denying was possible... :D
He then introduced himself as Ian Platt and told about his youth, flying with his brother, who moved to the USA and had a modelling firm over there
By then I didn't connect the pieces ( I was flying F2B and the days of the Keilkraft "Spectre" were long gone by...), but back home I realized, the brother must have been Dave Platt.
We lost contact about ten years ago, I hope they are still doing fine.
F2B or not to be....
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

...a curiosa about Dave Platt, see
…and we used to fly occasionally at the same flying field as I lived in Florida for almost 15 years and just about 35 miles from each others. If I remember right, he was born in Sep 1936 in Sussex. He is a quite pleasant person but quite reserved of his private life and can't remember him talking much about his time in the UK except working on the models for the movies.
Cheers,

Tobe