Odd Ball - Single Stick Radios

Single to Multi propo
Scott Todd

Re: Odd Ball - Single Stick Radios

Post by Scott Todd »

I would be interested in making badges and nameplates too. I am trying to 'refurbish' several old radios and many times the worst part is the destroyed or missing front badge.
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Single Stick Radios are very uncommon in our country. Here are two examples from my collection. Both are robbe / Futaba radios and are converted to 35MHz.
The robbe digital 2 uses Phil´s old 2+1 encoder, the Starkombi 4 uses an arduino DIY board.
robbe2a.JPG
Starkombi1.JPG
Frank
Bader's Briar

I HAVE to fly with "knobby" radios...!

Post by Bader's Briar »

Dear Fellow KNOBBY RC Radio Fans:

Bader's Briar here, for the first time at Mode Zero!

I've been in-and-out of the RC hobby here in the US since the late 1970s, when "knobby", single-joystick radios WERE still being made for sale...sadly, they disappeared from the US market by 1990, so I've HAD to build all my own "knobby box" Tx-es since even "before" then.

I've been able to have computer-based knobby radios since Y2K, thanks to one Gordon Anderson in Washington State and his amazing MicroStar 2000 series of encoders, of which his "MS2K" Mark III through Mark V designs have been available in North America (and even, allegedly, built & used in Europe as well) since the 21st century began.

Above is an "outside & innards" photo of my first MicroStar encoder-based knobby radio, meant for use on the US/Canada-legal 50.8-51 MHz six-meter VHF amateur radio RC band (I've held an FCC amateur radio license since 1978) that's built into an Ace RC MicroPro 8000 (MP8K) all-metal case, using one of my pair of Mk.III MS2K encoders. This "first pair" of MS2K-based knobby boxes will use one of Gordon's own 50 MHz synthesized Tx RF decks, which works hand-in-glove with the MS2K encoder to save one of the ten frequencies (50.80 to 50.98 MHz, US/Canada Ch.00 through 09) selected to match a receiver in a model. The Mk.III model of MS2K encoder I've used has eight memory positions save-able for up to eight different model aircraft - both the later Mk.IV and Mk.V designs, with both of those using a smaller-footprint encoder PC board and a much better, soldered-in single "PIC" chip to run all the "magic", have twelve TIMES as much model memory (up to 96 aircraft on one encoder) and an upgrade to a tested, ready-to-use pair of Mk.V encoders is quite likely in the coming years, in addition to crafting a second pair of dedicated UHF knobby box RC Tx-es (dual-band, for 70 cm band US/Can amateur & 13 cm band license-free [2.4GHz] use, both bands with spread spectrum hardware from DragonLink and FrSky respectively) which will actually use the Mk.V MS2K encoders first, for installation into Canadian-source Hammond p/n 1455T1601 aluminum cases (link to PDF drawing of case to be used for future knobby MS2K Tx-es).

I've even been ready to tackle creating my very own RUDDER KNOBS made for these owner-built knobby radios' needs:

...this "rudder knob shell" modeled in Solidworks some six years ago on my home PC, is delayed until I can get a "recently-retired" older version of the SolidWorks software on my home PC, most likely from my US state's department of education, as surplus software that's no longer in use.

Until then, the Mk.III MS2Ks will be my primary "knobby box" radios, when I can get back to RC flying by the autumn of this year.

Thanks and Yours Sincerely,
Bader's Briar
stormer254

Post by stormer254 »

Just found this post, I fly single stick due to medical reasons and my first proportional set was a Flight Link single stick which my dad gave me. But that was long before my medical problems, Now I have a couple of Futaba converted to single stick and a JR which was converted by a friend in our club he even made the single stick using a pot and a small plastic conduit cap! These are relatively modern Radios with modules so easy to convert to 2.4. I also have half a dozen more single stick radios mostly sourced from the USA who seemed to use a lot of single stick radios, so Kraft, Logiktrol, MRC, etc. The Logiktrol has a 2.4 conversion using an Extreme Power Systems kit. http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/index.php
rudderonlybird

Post by rudderonlybird »

"This just in..."

I've acquired three more single-stick radios, like I really need them 8-)

These are oddball from their age, if nothing else. For a good history review, look them up at:

http://www.rchalloffame.org/Manufacture ... index.html

I placed a Hitec Optic 6 2.4 in the lineup for size comparison. The fourth radio from the left, Min-X, I don't really consider a "single stick" proper, but there it is. All of these transmitters are in very good shape, inside and out. Because of how they work, there is no possible way to fly them as original, prolly can't get receivers anyway, so they'll be receiving Phil's encoders and someone's 2.4 RF deck.

Cool thing about the Min-X, is the stick gimbal assembly. Check it out close-up, and you'll see they are made from aluminum instead of the usual red plastic. They sure look professional, maybe CNC--no hacksaw and file work here. Don't know of any other Min-X like it.

I've already got a Doug Spreng 'Stormer' framed, maybe better get a go on it.

Speaking of RF decks, I've heard rumors of a multi-protocol 2.4 module in the works, maybe available soon. Might someone steer me in the direction to find out? I'd appreciate it.

Marc
Attachments
Quadruplex pictographs 004.JPG
Quadruplex pictographs 003.JPG
Quadruplex pictographs 002.JPG
Quadruplex pictographs 001.JPG
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

I think you'll find the Min-X transmitter is a Galloping Ghost Tx. The two Quadruplex' on the left are the original "open-loop" waggling ones, that didn't use feedback servos. IIRC they used modified Graupner Bellamatics, and worked by varying the mark-space ration of four separate channels - a sort of upmarket Galloping Ghost, but with a much higher frame rate.

The CL5 next to the Hitec was the final iteration of the Quadruplex. The transmission system was basically the same, but it finally got non-waggling feedback servos.

All those sets actually had a very good reputation. Nearly all of the proportional radios of that era were analogue, not digital, but the Quadruplex' got around many of their problems by adding simplicity! It may not have been a closed-loop system (feedback servos), but to pilots of the time, it would have been hard to tell on the sticks! And the added simplicity made it much more reliable!

Min-X were a highly regarded manufacturer at the tail end of the "reed" era, well made and reliable. They were late coming to the proportional age, and wasted a lot of time trying to develop an analogue system - something that even defeated Kraft! By the time they realised their mistake and went digital, they had largely missed the boat.

A great shame, as their stuff was extremely well made!

--
Pete
rudderonlybird

Post by rudderonlybird »

Hope it's OK to post this here, although the Min-X really is a proportional system... :lol:

I was given a Min-X 1200S back in the late Seventies, and could not make it work at all. I sent it to a couple of shops where someone could try it, and it was a no-go. Seems the problem was, the tone signal is set at 1200 cps, and the receiver was unable to track it during temperature changes. Second shop who tried it, said if you set it up at, say, mid-70's F temperature, then took it outside on a 90F day, the tone filter would physically change in size from the higher temperature, drift off on the cps and could not detect the tone, so as to key the relay. I found the box it was in after we moved to the present address, and after looking at Phil's 'Archive' listing, decided it would be a good candidate for a 2.4 conversion. Haven't got to it yet, as I'm the middle of a blue/green Futaba FT-3A conversion, then the Citizen-Ship TTX single-channel tranny is next.

I would like to have either this Min-X or the Controlaire GG Mule on 27 relayless, as I have two RAND Dual-Pak airborne systems, complete with 3.6 battery supply--which needs renewing--and switcher so I can dump the relay. Maybe Jay could find a way to either fix the pictured Min-x, or set it up with a more usable tone frequency other than the 1200 cps. Will find out later. Otherwise, I'll go 2.4 and not worry about it. Just wandering thoughts...

I posted the Min-X here hoping someone might have any info on the metal gimbals. Really home made? a prototype for later production? a special one-off for a friend, or...

Marc
ozrs

Post by ozrs »

I have this gimbal that looks like a Min X, but is blue plastic.
blue-gimbal.jpg
bkue-gimbal-2.jpg
Richard
ozrs

Post by ozrs »

Saw this on the bay - with metal gimbal bales.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Min-x-Pulsm ... 3683419129
min x.JPG
Richard
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

$606Aus + $216Aus postage :shock: :o
Beautiful Tx, but OMG! Ned Kelly would be proud :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)