Cheapo Tx recommendations

Single to Multi propo
Stew

Cheapo Tx recommendations

Post by Stew »

Hi all.
Can anyone recommend a cheapo basic 35meg or 2.4 transmitter for use as an 'I'll keep that Tx and model in the car boot just in case' sort of scenario? Sub £50 sort of territory with plentiful rx's?
I had a DX5e but I swapped it for a nice Frog 150!
Good nick DX5e's are like rocking horse poo at the moment..

Stew
Sundancer

Re: Cheapo Tx recomendations

Post by Sundancer »

My main Tx which I use with most of my models (Orange or Lemon Rxs) is a Spektrum DX6, but I also have a Turnigy 9X from Hobbyking which I use with 5 different models fitted with the Turnigy 9X Rxs (9 euros each!) - current Tx price 63 euros - and it has been faultless. I have no experience of the six channel Turnigy GTiY6 from the same source, but that is even cheaper at 48 euros, although not a module Tx like the 9X. The 9X transmitter has a good solid feel about it and the programming, once you get used to it, is straightforward. As supplied the 9X uses dry batteries, there is a lipoly pack available for it but I invested a little more in a 2000 Eneloop NiMH pack which has been well worthwhile. The only peculiarity it seems to have is that, when switching it on, ALL the switches have to be set towards the top/back of the Tx otherwise you just get a message "Switch Error", once it is switched on you can set them any way you want. This caused a furrowed brow for an hour or two until I looked it up on the internet!

For the price I think it is an excellent piece of kit.
jmp_blackfoot

Re: Cheapo Tx recommendations

Post by jmp_blackfoot »

I have had good luck with the Flysky i6 transmitter and telemetry receivers:
https://www.banggood.com/FlySky-FS-i6-2 ... rehouse=CN
I fitted 4 LSD AA batteries in the transmitter, Ikea "LADDA" are very good. They are made in Japan and apparently are rebranded Eneloops at a lower price.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70303876/
Stew

Post by Stew »

Thanks guys, thats good info. I had considered the 9XR as most of the early gremlins seem well know and have a fix now. The i6 is also one I considered. I'll explore both these options a bit more now.
Martin

Post by Martin »

I add my recommendation for the FlySky i6 as current 'low price best value' set. One thing that's a bit weird is when you select a model you have to long-press the 'Cancel' button after choosing the one you want. Of course, once you know that then it's easy, but for people trying to get to grips with the i6 without having read the manual, it would be better if that button was labelled 'Accept / Back' instead of 'Cancel'.
Igull

Post by Igull »

I agree with the Flysky i6 (and maybe the i10 too if the stupid LCD colour touch screen wasn't as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike) - the flysky stuff is fairly well made - certainly for the price and I've never had ANY issues with it - YMMV as they say 'tho :-)
Within the past few weeks, I bought the new OrangeRx Tx6i (with a view to putting it in a different enclosure) - it's also extremely great value for money - and to boot, it works perfectly with ALL the OrangeRx telemetry receivers (and I have a few) - unlike Spektrum G2 transmitters which always seem to have issue with OrangeRx telemetry - FWIW, the CPPM versions seem to work most of the time, the S.BUS ones never do - as receivers they're ok, but not telemetry.
It wouldn't surprise me if the OrangeRx Tx6i wasn't made by Flysky as the firmware seems almost identical to Flysky.
Cheers
Neil
Stew

Post by Stew »

Cheers guys. I'm very grateful for your advice.
What Phil and Sean and Ron etc have built here will, I'm sure, be remembered long into the future. I don't think I've found a more friendly bunch of modellers. Years from now I wonder if people will look back and think, perhaps we can replicate what those guys did in the early years of the 20th century!! And Phil's little boards will be revered and sought after by collectors!

Stew.