Macgregor 2ch, conversion to 3ch?

Single to Multi propo
gyronuts

Macgregor 2ch, conversion to 3ch?

Post by gyronuts »

Hi Phil,
I recently bought a converted MacGregor blue tx which had been converted with a spektrum module.
It has a single two axis stick , so elevator and rudder or rudder and throttle.
I am looking to add either a throttle button or slider/stick.
Is this something I could do or you could do? Is this possible?
I am currently about to fly Shaun's Weekender then Tadpole which I got from him at the Nats bring and buy. I would like to ask him a question about the battery for the Weekender?
Thanks
Bill
gyronuts

Re: Macgregor 2ch, conversion to 3ch?

Post by gyronuts »

1f.jpg
1e.jpg
1d.jpg
1c.jpg
1b.jpg
1a.jpg
This is how I got the unit
gyronuts

Post by gyronuts »

2e.jpg
2d.jpg
2c.jpg
2b.jpg
2a.jpg
I can make the pictures higher resolution if required
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hi Bill,
I seem to remember I used 2 x 450 mAh 2 cell lipos paralleled on a y lead for the weekender but an 800 to 1000mAh should fit ok. C of G should be marked on the plane but if not, the plans were published in RCM&E or on outerzone. The Tadpole used a 500mAh 2 cell Lipo. Slide the wing on that one to get the c of g correct.

I normally mark inside the fus what batteries I use.

Cheers,

Shaun.
gyronuts

Post by gyronuts »

hi Shaun see attached photos. I am disastrous with a soldering iron!!!!
Is it something you or Phil could do for me or would suggest a different stick. Ideally looking to add a throttle or throttle button .
Flew the weekender with a 3s 1000, mistake , motor did not like it. Reflew with 2s and great fun.
c.jpg
d.jpg
e.jpg
f.jpg
g.jpg
Attachments
b.jpg
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hi Bill,

PM sent

Shaun
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Thats quite unusual Bill, its not just a Spektrum module but a complete DX4e board.
The case looks like one of the Macgregor S/C transmitters, taller than it is wide, and the stick unit looks very small, much smaller than a Macgregor stick. Most unusual!

An extra channel should be just a case of wiring the extra pot, as the DX4e expects 4 pots. Maybe the converter has put small presets on the unused channels under the board, in which case its just a case of moving 3 wires. Either way, it looks like the pot connections simply continue along the header where the bundled red wires go (who uses red, red and red for pos, neg and signal? Image )

The stick connector has 12 pins, 3 of which you're presently using for rudder and 3 for elevator.
The remaining 6 are the same for the other stick unit, so for throttle you'd just use the next 3 adjacent
to your existing red wires.

You need a header socket with wires attached, this kind of thing, with 3 to 6 connections. You'd need to find pos, neg and wiper with a multimeter, its unfortunate that the converter has used red throughout so there are no visual clues.

Once the new pot is wired, it will need calibrating - I dont know how this is done on the DX4e, maybe one of the Spektrum lads will know.

Cheers
Phil
channelsdx5e.jpg

Actually, now I think about it, the DX4e has two switched channels, it might be much easier to arrange an on-off throttle via a toggle switch. No messing with pots, no calibration, easier to mount a switch... Image
(contrary to popular belief, the DX5e and the DX4e are both 6 channel sets)
gyronuts

Post by gyronuts »

Hi Phil,
That looks magic will PM you. Bill
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Added 3rd propo channel and a switched 'aux' channel on a toggle so its a 4ch now :D

codamac4.jpg
gyronuts

Post by gyronuts »

Gosh the is neat. Considering the board was epoxyed into the case.
Wow!!! many thanks#Bill