New Digimac 1+1 revision 3, a few more bells & whistles

Single to Multi propo
Wayne_H

Re: New Digimac 1+1 revision 3, a few more bells & whistles

Post by Wayne_H »

I flew the ATTiny tx this morning in my Buzz Bomb modified to use a 9g servo instead of the Ace magnetic actuator - great range & solid feel but alas the linearity has deteriorated to a point where the stick assembly is unusable 😩. There is a dead spot & a significant "jump" in servo travel in one direction, not so bad in the other direction. Back to the drawing board :oops:

I have two D&R single axis sticks that I purchased from Ace years ago. If I can get my 3D printer working correctly, I'm thinking of trying to emulate them but modified to use a conventional pot. Added to the list......
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Old 27mhz model car radios are a good source of single-axis sticks...
Sanwa Dash, Acoms Techniplus, Futaba Attack, Hitec Ranger etc
one_3.jpg
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

I've just had some forced 'down time' while recovering from some minor surgery. Rather then be bored or waste away watching the idiot box, I put the time to good use by making another 1+1 Tx :) .

For this version, I turned the case on it's side, my thinking being 2-fold:
1. I can comfortably hold the Tx in my left hand with my left thumb over the throttle button while launching, then hold the Tx with both hands while flying --> pseudo Mode 2 - right thumb steers while left thumb controls the throttle.
2. its a little different :P
I can comfortably hold the Tx in my left hand while launching.
I can comfortably hold the Tx in my left hand while launching.
The case is a bland neutral coloured cheap plastic job off 'the bay'. Since it has a shallow recess on the front, I inserted red stick-on auto vinyl in the recess after painting the case black. This colour combination reminds me of a 7ch Micron Tx I have tucked away in a box in storage. I used a D&R stick with a separate D&R trim pot. The encoder is Phil's ATtiny 1+1 Mk2
1+1 Tx #2
1+1 Tx #2
Rather than use an internal Frsky module as is my normal practice, this Tx has a plug in Multi-Module (from Banggood), operating a FlySky Rx.
fitted with a multi-module operating in FlySky mode
fitted with a multi-module operating in FlySky mode
over-spray from painting the case exterior makes the internals look worse than they really do ;-)
over-spray from painting the case exterior makes the internals look worse than they really do ;-)
This is my first ATtiny 1+1 Tx retro-fitted with a D&R stick. Works a treat!
This is my first ATtiny 1+1 Tx retro-fitted with a D&R stick. Works a treat!
All in all, a 'recovery' day well spent :D
Cheers,

Wayne
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Looks fantastic Wayne, I like the inlaid vinyl idea. Where are the 'D&R' sticks from?
Wagga_Wayne wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 03:51Rather than use an internal Frsky module as is my normal practice, this Tx has a plug in Multi-Module (from Banggood), operating a FlySky Rx.
You realise a genuine Flysky RM002 module is only £14? :D

(no Yorkshiremen to keep you in check over there?)

Cheers
Phil
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Thanks Phil :D
Phil_G wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 15:00 ........ Where are the 'D&R' sticks from?
The sticks and trims came from Ace. I bought a lot of Tx hardware, pcb's & servo mechanics from them back in the late 70's & early 80's. They were always great to deal with.
Phil_G wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 15:00 ........ You realise a genuine Flysky RM002 module is only £14? :D

(no Yorkshiremen to keep you in check over there

Cheers
Phil
Yes, I'm a long way from Yorkshire :shock: but there is some ancestry to keep me in check :D
Since Flysky run two software versions, I have more series B RX's than series A, so I bought a 003 module for them. The multi-module doesn't 'talk' series B, but it does talk FlySky series A + Frsky + Walkera to service my eclectic collection of early 2.4G RX's. :P

Thanks for the code, the Tiny version works really well & the boards are cheap - simplze ;)
Cheers,

Wayne
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

The throttle button, the momentary buttons I have, have 3 pins, one side opens when pressed, the other side closed when pressed.

Which way please?

Dave
Cheers,

Dave
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

A long overdue conversion using phil's excellent digispark encoder

20240127_210444_copy.jpg
20240127_210510_copy.jpg
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Nice!
The Macgregor 1+1 is one of my favourite sets - lovely relaxing way to fly rudder-only :)
Mine is a regular flyer in the Vic Speed Poppet... totally dependable, around 30-40 watts which is plenty. Love it :D

iflylilplanes wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 08:55 The throttle button, the momentary buttons I have, have 3 pins, one side opens when pressed, the other side closed when pressed.
Which way please?
Dave
Dave, really sorry I missed this, so 3 years late, its the push-to-make you need - which you probably know already!
The wrong way wont damage anything but will hold the encoder in stick-calibration mode.

Cheers
Phil

PS For the 1+1 there is also a throttle channel converter module for boats, which sits between the Rx and a reversing ESC,
and converts the "off/mid/fast/mid" sequence to "off/forward/off/reverse"
Specifically it changes the throttle channel timing from "1000/1500/2000/1500" to "1500/2000/1500/1000"
Otherwise, on a reversing ESC, the standard throttle starts up in full reverse!
If the set is permanently in a boat this could of course be done in the 1+1 sketch, but the module makes it more versatile.
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

No problem, Phil, I worked it out, the Testors Simpulse1 works great and is going into it's first model, Jack Headley's "Tadpole" glider.

Thanks anyway.
Cheers,

Dave