Idris Francis RIP

Single to Multi propo
Mike_K

Idris Francis RIP

Post by Mike_K »

I have just found out that Idris Francis passed away last month. For those that don't know, Idris was a pioneer of proportional R/C in this country and was the owner Flight Link, one of the first (if not the first) manufacturers of proportional sets in the UK. He was also an Alvis owner which was one of his biggest loves in later life.

https://alvisarchive.com/2019/02/13/idris-francis/

As a big fan of Flight Link sets, I made contact with Idris early last year and had some wonderful correspondence with him about the history of Flight Link. Even though they stopped producing R/C gear in the 70's, they continued producing the joysticks for industrial use, but especially for mobility scooters where they had a virtually monopoly of the market until Idris sold the company when he retired.

So the next transmitter I'll be converting is one of my Flight Link Sovereign in memory of Idris.

MIke
Mike_K

Re: Idris Francis RIP

Post by Mike_K »

Every few weeks I have a swap around of the transmitters on display in my office. With the recent sad news regarding Idris Francis I decided I'd put all of my favourite Flight Link transmitters on display and thought I'd post a photo of them in his memory. Thanks Idris for some Iconic transmitters.

FLC_01.jpg

Mike
stormer254

Re: Idris Francis RIP

Post by stormer254 »

I learn't to fly proportional with a single stick Flight link that my dad 'donated' to me, a lovely set that I still have all be that it will almost certainly never work again! I was so impressed I bought another older set which took a couple of repairs to get reliable and the service and advice to a complete numpty like me was always brilliant
I enjoyed the use of the built in failsafe quite a few times when I flew the RX battery flat!
RIP Idris Francis