Kraft Series 72 KP2B restoration

Single to Multi propo
Wayne_H

Kraft Series 72 KP2B restoration

Post by Wayne_H »

My original post on my intentions to restore/convert my KP2B was lost when the old forum went down. I've now finally finished the conversion, so time to re-post & complete the story.... :D

Historically, in my part of Aus, American radios seemed to dominate in the 70's & 80's. Consequently, EK red is the dominant colour in my collection of old Txs awaiting restoration/re-birth. I also have a number of Japanese sets from the 1970s - Futaba & Sanwa - and from the 80's - JR & Hitec, as well as a few ACE, Multiplex & Micron Txs.

However, I have one mustard coloured Tx - the Kraft KP2B - which is near & dear to me, being my first proportional radio. I remember that it cost me $142 Aussie in 1972 - in today's currency that would be significantly more than a high end European competition radio. How far we have come! I do know that I was still at school, and worked at the local abattoirs shoveling gut during the school holidays as well as having a paper run, all to earn the $'s to "go proportional".

The Conversion:
My KP2B was fitted out with Phil's 7ch encoder. 4 channels are fitted (to utilise the 4 available channels on the Frsky Rx), but I did try to keep the TX externally as close to original as possible.

Originally, I had hopes of 3d printing a new 'brick', containing a FrSky Rx & 2 x 9-12g servos. My own brick had died a natural death long ago :shock: . However recently born-again Pom, GaryNB, graciously sent me an empty brick & matching battery box when he was rationalising(?) his collection in Oz before regressing back to Blighty - thanks Mate ;) . Consequently, I was able to easily retro-fit 2 E-Sky 9gm servos and the afor mentioned Frsky Rx, creating a "brick" to complete the set.
KP2B - brick contents_s.jpg
Two fly leads exit the "brick":
  • one for the throttle servo or ESC
  • a 'Y lead', connected to channel 4. This allows both a servo & a battery & switch harness to be connected if not flying electric using an ESC with BEC
KP2B - brick external leads_s.jpg
The bind board, Frsky 3 position switch, rate pots & switches are all internal. A slide pot from a box of old Multiplex bits was added for throttle with the throttle kill switch mounted next to it, mounted to operate in the same sense. A 3-position switch is plugged into channel 4 of the encoder & mounted unobtrusively behind the antenna.
KP2B - Tx_finished_internal_1s.jpg
The single channel push button is mounted on a piece of board along with the rates & expo pots, internally above the rudder stick.
KP2B - SC pushbutton_1_s.jpg
The encoder & a 2S Tx battery are mounted inside the fake 9v battery.

I took a leaf out of Ron's book & made up a box for the TX + 'brick'. The gold coloured box (of course :P ) is a gift box purchased at a $2 shop for a few bucks.
KP2B - Tx+brick_1s.jpg
KP2B - K_Brick in a box-2s.jpg

All in all, a very satisfying project. :D
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
NeilMac

Re: Kraft Series 72 KP2B restoration

Post by NeilMac »

Wonderful; to me, that is what it is all about.
"I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game"
GarydNB

Re: Kraft Series 72 KP2B restoration

Post by GarydNB »

Looks the business Wayne, happy to have helped.
Gary