Silverstone 2 channel

Single to Multi propo
_AL_

Silverstone 2 channel

Post by _AL_ »

My latest acquire.
Very good condition & will make a nice 2+1.

Al
Attachments
PaulJ

Re: Silverstone 2 channel

Post by PaulJ »

'Looks good Al, it will make a very nice conversion....... I have never seen or heard of "Silvertone", was/is it an Aussie outfit or can you say any more about them?

Paul
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Silvertone was an Aussie manufacturer based in Sydney, producing very reliable gear for many years. They started making R/C equipment in the S/C days, progressing & producing radios and other custom electronics until a few years back. As far as I know, Bob Young - Mr Silvertone - is still with us, hopefully enjoying a well earned retirement ;)

At various times, Bob also designed & produced:
  • r/c target drones for the Australian army
  • anamatronics for local & foreign movie houses
  • remote operated window washing robots for the Sydney Opera House
  • UAVs before they were known as UAVs :P
I have several of his receivers & servos, all of which still give excellent service.

FYI, there have been other successful Aussie R/C manufacturers, amongst them:
  • Titan Electronics - Ian McCaughey, based in Sydney
  • PSA - Proportional Systems Australia - Jim Smith, based in Brisbane
  • Panser, produced in the Hunter Valley in the late 60s & early 70s
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Thanks for that Wayne. As a bit of of an Aussiephile, I am thinking that my collection won't be complete until I have a Silvertone! I was trying to give it up but if you see any on ebay, please would you let me know.......

Paul.
Last edited by PaulJ on 20 Jun 2019, 08:06, edited 1 time in total.
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

What Wayne said :D
I'm pretty sure Bob i still around.

I have a Single Channel Silvertone & now the 2 ch propo. Both nice radios.
You don't see them come up much & I sort of fell over this one. There was a 5 channel on Ebay 6 months or so ago but the guy wanted $500 for it so I suspect he still has it. I've never seen a Titan, Panser or PSA.

I'll give the case a clean up & it should look mint. This one even has the original battery with no corrosion though it doesn't power up.

Al
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

I went looking & found this site - a fascinating read, especially having been there for little bits of it! So much of it I had forgotten - the R/C VW at the Sydney Showground, the fly-chair, parachute recovery, etc., etc - & some of the latest stuff I only just discovered :o
https://www.silvertoneelectronics.com/c ... ne-story-0

The most amazing coincidence is that the new owner has established Silvertone only 90km down the highway - I shall definitely go & check it out 8-)
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Many thanks for that Wayne. What an interesting guy and what a great career. I can't understand why we've seen or heard so little of Bob Young and Silvertone in this half of the world. Some of those later sets really look the business! I would certainly like to get my hands on one for conversion though the earlier and simpler the better. I will keep my eyes open here but if you see anything for sale down under please let me know.

Paul
ozrs

Post by ozrs »

One of my mates "BJ" was doing some work with Bob a couple of years back, and he sent me this pic:
UAV BJ's.JPG
Richard
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

I live 5 minutes from where the original factory at Riverwood in Sydney, went there to get the MAAA approvals done on the old long wire gear. I remember Bob came into the LHS I used to work in showing us the new Hall Effect gimbals he came up with, this was back in the 1980's. Bob was also involved in the development of the race/cams used in the Sydney to Hobart yacht race and the Bathurst car races, Bob was a real innovator in radio control systems.
Cheers,

Dave
KeyboardKid

Post by KeyboardKid »

Bob and his toys.jpg
Hello All, you Lads are very kind to my history. Thank you for that.

The photo attached is of me (Bob Young) with some of my toys many of which owe their lives to BJ, John Heron and many others.

Thanks once again for your kind remarks and yes I am still here, doing well at 84 years of age, and still building models.

Cheers,

KeyboardKid.