Shiny Boxes aka Controlaire Tx's

Single to Multi propo
Shaun

Re: Shiny Boxes aka Controlaire Tx's

Post by Shaun »

I remember once getting a strip tore off me from the CFI for dumping water ballast over a group of pilots walking back to the hanger as I was getting into circuit to land. After that he told me he thought it was very funny but would deny it if I mentioned it to anyone.

I seem to remember we called the Astir the white elephant but it was a great aircraft to fly.

I see there's a company that is doing rebuilds and mods on time expired Blanik's giving them another 6000 hrs.

Shaun.
Last edited by Shaun on 05 Nov 2019, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
Martin

Post by Martin »

I went solo in a Blanik too. Have flown only once in a twin Astir. but lots of times in a 15 metre solo club Astir. The other twin-seaters my club had were the ASK-21 which was posh but I didn't like it much and a Puchacz - an updated glass fibre Bocian which was great fun and spun like a top.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Maybe we should have a - Who went solo in a Blanik thread :lol:
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

I took my towing abilitation by towing a Blanik with an old Cessna 172! ....and trust me it's a heavy sucker to tow!
Concerning solo I did Glider in a Bergfalke, piston in a Cessna 150 Aerobat and turbine in a Saab 105 aka SK60 and I remember every minute of each one.
As I was reviewing my logbooks I found out that I have sent solo about 150 plus students and probably with some help I would remember every single one or better the expression on their face at landing
Cheers,

Tobe
rudderonlybird

Post by rudderonlybird »

Twin Astir? Does that mean you need a multi-engine glider rating? :lol:
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

rudderonlybird wrote: 06 Nov 2019, 01:28 Twin Astir? Does that mean you need a multi-engine glider rating? :lol:
Na, just a good pair to tackle a launch on a marginal winch or behind a marginal tug :lol: :lol: Carefully got to 800' agl on one launch 2 up in the Concrete Swan - Turned cross wind ready for landing and snagged a great thermal. Happy days 8-)
Last edited by Wayne_H on 06 Nov 2019, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Tobe wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 17:06 I took my towing abilitation by towing a Blanik with an old Cessna 172! ....and trust me it's a heavy sucker to tow!
Your a brave man Gungadin! I took my wife up for a ride in the L-13, towed (for the first and last time!!) behind a Scout. We averaged 200'/min with thermal assistance. Definitely not enjoyable :cry:
Tobe wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 17:06 As I was reviewing my logbooks I found out that I have sent solo about 150 plus students and probably with some help I would remember every single one or better the expression on their face at landing
Well done Tobe, I'm sure you can. I'd only been instructing for about 6 months when I had to take my current hiatus. I found instructing extremely rewarding and look forward to taking it up again asap.
Cheers,

Wayne
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Ron,

It's a great gliding related discussion, but off topic. Suggest we move the discussion to a dedicated thread??
Cheers,

Wayne
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Wayne

Off topic? Just a bit!

Wrong section? Not really. The last time I went up in a K13, I'm certain it was proportional. And the C152 I flew recently. OK, it's nothing to do with a Controlaire 234, but isn't it great that we can move from "Shiny Boxes" to what aircraft you first went solo in within a few posts

By the way, the first solo for me was a Cessna 150 followed a few years later by a K13

Mike

PS Am I a bit jealous about you having a house with a garage and road at the front and a hanger and airfield at the rear. Just a little :)
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Mike_K wrote: 06 Nov 2019, 11:14 Mike

PS Am I a bit jealous about you having a house with a garage and road at the front and a hanger and airfield at the rear. Just a little :)
Hi Mike,

I was working on the hangar slab today when the museum rolled out some of their aircraft and did some practice/test flying - Terrible being entertained while you work :P :P

The Catalina and Winjeel departed, but the Cessna Dragonfly ran though a routine - I did manage to grab some video with my phone, its "average" but you get the idea.

More info on the Dragonfly here:
https://aviationmuseum.com.au/cessna-a-37b-dragonfly/
Cheers,

Wayne