Skyleader Clubmate

Single to Multi propo
PaulJ

Skyleader Clubmate

Post by PaulJ »

I confess that I had never seen a 2 channel Skyleader Clubmate until I found this one but when I saw it, I just had to have it as it is perfect for the "Rudder Only" Spot Landing events at Old Warden. Conversion using a rudder/throttle variation of Phil's 2+1 Digispark and an Orange DIY Tx module was really simple and though I haven't flown it yet, it is bound to the new model I've built for the May OW event and now I'm just waiting for some decent weather......
IMG_20191105_093804.jpg
IMG_20191105_093917.jpg
IMG_20191105_094025.jpg
IMG_20191105_094005.jpg
IMG_20191219_153033.jpg
Outwardly I have tried to keep it as it was, the only external sign of the conversion is the flashing LED in the top. The antenna is hidden in the frequency pennant and the binding button is accessed through the hole in the top that was originally used for changing the crystal. The extra (black) button on the board is the "+1" channel that was the throttle button on the 2+1 which, though not used for a throttle, is used for calibration. The whole thing is just delightfully simple and in keeping with the spirit of "Retro". :)

Paul
Wayne_H

Re: Skyleader Clubmate

Post by Wayne_H »

Nice one Paul ;)

I've "emulated" your antenna in the pennant idea on my (almost finished) Controlair 2-3-4 TX. Pics to follow.
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
jmendoza

Re: Skyleader Clubmate

Post by jmendoza »

Nice, it's like the Kraft KPT-2 a 2 channel 2-stick they sold here, but people only used them for cars and boats as nobody liked to fly with the elevator on the left stick. For use with a car, they simply removed the spring on the left joystick. Kraft made a ton of these, and many came with ARF planes, but nobody here who was experienced liked to fly with the elevator on the left so many never got used, they are on eBay all the time now.

I simply put the 2.4 GHz antenna directly behind the original antenna, so when looking at the Tx dead on, you do not see it. The original antenna can be extended, with your colored frequency ribbons at the tip, or cassette tape, to act as a wind indicator. Many guys here, especially glider guiders, have asked to retain the original antenna for the balance, plus the original appearance, and want the ribbons for a wind indicator. So far, no issues with reception, works fine.