MRC Conversion

Single to Multi propo
PaulJ

MRC Conversion

Post by PaulJ »

OK, I admit it..... I'm an addict! I don't know much about electronics but Phil's various encoders have opened up a whole new branch of the hobby for me and now I am a compulsive converter of old trannies. I have way more transmitters than I can ever use but when this immaculate 5 channel MRC turned up on ebay it seemed the perfect opportunity to use that extra 7 channel encoder that I had been keeping "just in case".......
IMG_20190726_124651.jpg
So out went the old innards and in went the new. To begin withI did a fairly basic conversion and kept it at 5 channels (4 propo + switched u/c) and it all worked first time but I found the switched channel too slow for my likings. I mentioned this to Phil who pointed out that there had been a major update and not only is the switched channel now much faster but there is also an option of 1 or 2 seconds transit time..... Much more useable for me. And he volunteered to reprogram/update my now superceded DIY More with the new update. The calibration process is now simpler and also gives the facility for a non-linear throttle response which will be much better for ic engines, particularly diesels! There is also a timer that beeps at an easily set time. Apart from the slow switched channel, there wasn't much wrong with the old encoder but I have to say that the updated version is even better! I added the Rates Rates and Expo functions but I wanted to be able to switch the rates in and out for different manoeuvres so as well as a pot I put a switch in the circuit (Top left in the picture). I also added the extra two channels, one as a conventional pot/trim lever and the second, though a propo channel I have installed with an internal pot but with an external three position switch (Second switch top/left) to give two pre-determined flap settings at the flick of a switch(Thanks Phil!). And I couldn't resist the timer which is the yellow button on the top of the case. I didn't fit the mixers but that will be an easy fit if and when I need them. The red button is the bind button.
DSCN0197.JPG
DSCN0196.JPG
The MRC has lovely silky smooth stick units and I have to say that, with all the new updates, this has become a very versatile and useable set. :P
Last edited by PaulJ on 23 Jan 2020, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne_H

Re: MRC Conversion

Post by Wayne_H »

Nice job Paul ;)

So, how many trannies is that then? He with the most Tx's doesn't necessarily win, but its great fun trying!!! :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

9 Single Channel, 2 Reed and 15 Propo (from 1 - 7 channels) all on 2.4 and useable + 1 Propo still to convert..... :P

Paul
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Oh, is that all :lol: :lol: ;)

But why only one on the "to do" list? Your much too young (as are we all :D ) to go into retro-retirement......... :P
Cheers,

Wayne
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Wayne_H wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 11:10 But why only one on the "to do" list?
Because I have nowhere left to put them! There's the engine collection too and, for reasons I've never understood, Mrs.J doesn't want them in the bedroom! :roll:

Paul
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

PaulJ wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 13:44 ... and, for reasons I've never understood, Mrs.J doesn't want them in the bedroom! :roll:

Paul
What, like this? :lol:
20200125_114416.jpg
(Justified by lack of storage in the rental :P)
Cheers,

Wayne