The 'Mode-zero Goblin' a simple S/C or intermediate glider

They stay up by magic!
Igull

Re: Recreating the Irvine Pixie S/C or intermediate glider

Post by Igull »

Mike_K wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 20:02 IIRC the guy who owned Irvine bought Ripmax and merged Irvine into it, so Irvine is effectively Ripmax. If you had problems with them over Keil Kraft (oops I said the words), then you'll probably have similar problems with this. How has Ben Buckle managed to copy every KK model (and others) under the sun and not have problems?

Since most models have ideas cribbed from others, lets call it an iGull Pixie Dust MK2. And if anybody ask, the wings were influenced by the Cermark Dragonfly (same span and chord/similar dihedral and construction to a Pixie) and any number of other traditional slope soarer fuselages.
Oh dear, you've mentioned all my nightmare companies :-) No idea how BB managed that, perhaps they licensed the brand - I'm only surmising of course, I'm in no way suggesting such that such a thing is even possible m'lord.

I was thinking that 'Irving Poxie' or 'Igull Poxie' or the 'Phil Green Poxie' or maybe just plain 'ol 'The Poxie' might be best seeing as how Pixie has taken on a completely different meaning these days :oops:

I'm sure others will have more (in)appropriate suggestions :lol:

Pretty much just the fuse sides to do now - and a guess at that 'aerofoil' section of course :-))

Cheers

Neil
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

FWIW I was chatting to another well known producer of laser cut kits and he told me that he paid £3,000 EACH for the copyright to six of the designs he produces....... :shock: . The designer in question lives in the USA but it kinda explains why some of these kits cost as much as they do....... and you have to wonder how Outerzone gets away with making so many designs so readily available :?
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Igull wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 21:38...or the 'Phil Green Poxie'
No no no :D but I do like 'Pixie Dust' !

I cant get a good shot of the section as the tips being angled spoil the profile:
The max thickness is fairly forward and its exactly an inch thick.
The centre sheeting is let in. The fus sides are 3/32 not 1/16 as I said last night, with
doublers under the wing seat but (curiously) none in the nose.
Yes 'generic' flat-bottom clark-Y, from french curves or a shoe sole :D

I will take a distance shot of the fus so we can get the incidences without any parallax
IMG_20180717_231719020.jpg
IMG_20180717_231901.jpg
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Incidences, I make it 1.4° overall measured to the flat-bottoms.
These two screens are of the same photo taken at about 15' away:

incidences.jpg

I would suggest changing the tips to a clark-Y shape, for one thing they are very a characteristic feature of the 'Pixie' design wrt copyright, and they're the only part of the design I dont like, they're ugly. But the main reason is that you cant stand the wing against a wall, it always falls as its standing on the T/E !
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Phil

It can't be called "Pixie Dust", that is the common name for a mixture of illegal narcotic drugs... In fact the word Pixie has been corrupted in its common use over the last few years, which is a shame.

And now for a more sensible suggestion. I've been playing with some Nixie tubes over the weekend, it sounds similar and the "N" could stand for Neil. On second thoughts, far too sensible. Back to the drawing board.

But whatever it's called, put me down for one please Neil.

Cheers

Mike
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Dixie, Nixie, Trixie, Sixie (etc)...... c'mon, there should be at least some "clue" to it's origins 8-)

Re airfoil - suggest flat bottomed E387? i.e. E387 upper profile and flat from the lowest tangent of the small Phillips entry LE, thickness adjusted to match the existing thickness.
Or, if it's main use is expected to be on the slope, then E205 & ditto
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

On a model of this type, within certain quite wide limits, I don't think the wing section is all that critical. The only place where the section is acurately reproduced is the very narrow point where the ribs are located. In between you have the Mainspar creating a ridge at the max thickness and over the rest of the wing the covering sags in between the ribs so effectively the wing is somewhat thinner than the designed "section" anyway. If it has a flat bottom, a curved top, a reasonably blunt Leading Edge and with the max thickness around 30 - 35 %, no matter what exact shape you make the ribs, the overall effect will only ever be a "generic Clark Y"..... If you want an accurate wing section you need to sheet the wing all over or use foam :o. For this model the only critical thing will be what size shoe Neil takes! :lol:
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

PaulJ wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 08:07 On a model of this type, within certain quite wide limits, I don't think the wing section is all that critical. :o. ............ For this model the only critical thing will be what size shoe Neil takes! :lol:
You mean to tell me Paul that the air is neither fooled or impressed by our collective genius :geek: ? The sum of the IQ's (and probably ages :P :oops: ) devoting thought to this "recreation" has to at least exceed the likely Reynolds Numbers, and that is impressive :roll: :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

I used to be indecisive but now I’m not so sure!!

Ron
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I used to have an open mind but then my brains fell out....... :?