SG 38.. one hell of a build.

They stay up by magic!
Shaun

SG 38.. one hell of a build.

Post by Shaun »

I've decided to finish off my Krick 1/4 scale SG38. It's been a modelling millstone around my neck for a number of years. I believe it is possessed as it's kept sucking the enthusiasm from me on many occasions when deciding to finish it. Including hardware it has about 750 items in the kit.
Phil motivated me to get it done by suggesting we enter a scale glider comp next year. My mate Rob did most of the wings for me earlier this year when he was bored; construction wise, essentially it's the full sized aircraft scaled down, hundreds of parts and mostly ply. I've built a 1/3rd scale cub quicker but it's not going to beat me. I'll post a few pics when she's less naked. Good news is I've found a 20mtr roll of white Solartex I bought when they announced they were shutting up shop, I forgot about.

Shaun
Attachments
sg38_foto_600x.jpg
Last edited by Shaun on 25 Sep 2023, 17:30, edited 2 times in total.
PaulJ

Re: SG 38.. one hell of a build.

Post by PaulJ »

FWIW, in the weeks after the end of the War many servicemen went to Germany as part of the "Occupation" and my Dad was sent to Saltzgitter, then a centre for Gliding in the Fatherland. Amongst other things, he flew the SG38.......
SG38.jpg
In this picture, my Dad is the one with the hat on sitting at the rear of the glider.

He also drew these cartoons during his time there, both of which related to "incidents" that had happened while he was there....
Oops!.jpg
Too fast.jpg
Paul
Shaun

Re: SG 38.. one hell of a build.

Post by Shaun »

Thanks for that info Paul.
We used to hook one up to a land rover (with a short tow rope) and go round the peri track when the cloud base was too low at our gliding club to keep us amused.

I did go on the winch once or twice with it. Interesting experience. 😄Actually ours was the Grasshopper made by Slingsby; the RAF's version of it.
It had a phenomenal (poor) glide ratio of around 10:1 which was twice as bad as the Slingsby T 21, the stalwart of the Air Training Corps. The best glider we had at the club was an ASW 17 .. now that could float along with a glide ratio of almost 50:1.

Shaun.