Veron Cobra maiden

They stay up by magic!
leccyflyer

Veron Cobra maiden

Post by leccyflyer »

Had a nice maiden flight with a classic today - the Veron Cobra. This is a pre-loved kit which my pal Derek passed on to me about half a dozen years ago and every time I'd set out to fly the model something intervened. The biggest of these was the year I spent looking for the missing pair of wing joiners which I mistakenly thought the model had, rather than the single pair it uses. A chance remark yesterday made me get the Cobra out of storage, charge the new battery pack and put it in the car, for a possible outing if the wind built as forecast today. So after a pleasant morning flying a series of fighters on the flat, once the wind was 10mph we set off for home, calling in at the slope site just down the road.

The Cobra flew beautifully and climbed out majestically into good lift of a 10mph SE wind - Derek handled the first few minutes, whilst I took a few snaps, then I took over. The rudder is super powerful and I did my best to make smooth gentle manoeuvres, as advised, which the Cobra performed well. Circuits for landing were larger and shallower than my usual dive into the heather and I was reasonably pleased with the results. Definitely a keeper and my first Veron model - I think I'm going to match the Cobra with my Digimac II transmitter for the authentic vintage slope experience.
Veron CObra 16th March 2024-1.jpg
Veron CObra 16th March 2024-7.jpg
Spike S

Re: Veron Cobra maiden

Post by Spike S »

An elegant design that makes a smooth model. Enjoy !
I did my Silver "C" flights in a Cobra 15 (aka "Lead Sled"). During one task, a memorable high speed straight line from Sherborne to North Hill under a huge developing CuNb cloud base, 120kts and climbing nearly all the way ! Then across the finish line under 8/8 blue sky with a climb to 8,000ft to finish the 5 hours qualifier.
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

It fly's extremely well considering it's only rudder / ele. It can be very aerobatic,; but that's down to Phil Smiths understanding of aerodynamics.
leccyflyer

Post by leccyflyer »

Didn't try any aerobatics Shaun, as Derek advised to keep things gentle, given that the wings are only held on by the fit of the 8swg piano wire joiners and secured with electrical tape. It's a but of a faff to rig and it's a big model too, around 10 foot span - the rudder is very effective though and makes the Cobra quite manoeuvrable. She's also equipped with aerotow and winch capability should the need arise.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I have Phil Smiths prototype Cobra, he gave it to me many years ago as a present. It's a bit heavier than the kitted version but fly's great.

They do look very elegant in the air. Gentle aero's are the way though,; nothing too violent.
Spike S

Post by Spike S »

The Cobra was one of the first gliders cleared for full aerobatics with a design limit of plus 6 and minus 3g, but the BGA limited it in UK to something less.
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I'm talking about my 60 year old model Spike, not the real thing. 😀
leccyflyer

Post by leccyflyer »

If you've got a big enough Sharkface to be a glider tug Shaun, I could bring my Cobra to Ponte and we can put both of them up ;)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I've got a 1/3rd scale cub and Dalotel if you would like the wings testing. :D :D :D

Why not bring it anyhow to display; you can never have enough Veron models at our do. 👍