Been sloping...

They stay up by magic!
Wayne_H

Re: Been sloping...

Post by Wayne_H »

You: 👏👏👏👏
Me: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ...... ;)
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

I am sorry, I cannot identify the plane.
It is definitely not from Graupner ( no Hifly ) and no Gentle Lady and nothing I ever had or have seen.

Cheers
Frank
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Love the Moonbeam.
glyn

Post by glyn »

Hi Phil
The white model you need identifying is now driving me bonkers, any chance of some more clues? What is the span for instance and is it a kit? (do any of the fuselage formers have idents on them? etc).
Did it fly ok? the tip dihedral looks a little low from here!
I thought it may have been a Pilot kit but it seems like it has attributes from three of their kits but is not one of theirs, so what is it???
Please give me some peace!

I do recognise the Moonbeam however and indeed I flew mine the other day, on propo alas but as soon as it calms down my trusty Pathfinder is at the ready! Is that a torque rod at the back of yours?

Cheers
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

I've no idea Glyn and the owner doesnt either :-)
It was a swap-meet bargain. Wonder if maybe its one of the lesser known kits like Bowman or Solent Sailplanes etc? The scheme made me think Graupner, Hegi, etc... I dunno.

The Moonbeam is a simple torque-rod but split into a Y at the back, exactly as my old escapement one was:

Cheers
Phil
glyn

Post by glyn »

Thanks Phil and very nice too! Good to see it has the balanced ruddervators(?) as well. Mine has two servos which ain’t got no soul!!!
After much research (well someone had to do it) I believe the mystery model might be the Super Sparrow (sorry I called it the super swallow before editing it) RM 321... could be wrong but looks close enough for me!

Cheers
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Four of us had a great day sloping at Baildon Moor today - me, Shaun, Neil & Paul (not of this parish)
The fish & chip pre-flight thing has become a very pleasant habit :D
The wind was strong and at best 30-45°off the slope so it was really lumpy with turbulence, consequently (sorry chaps) the S/C Moonbeam stayed in the van... ;)
I flew the "Little-V" (built by Ron) and the NRF equipped Lidl glider, Shaun had his MPX Blizzard, Paul had a Wildthing and a semi-scale glider(?) and, incredibly, Neil flew a DLG!
Managed to put a few more hours on the NRF sets, no problems. I though it would be cool to fly the Lidl glider using the 'Ultra Micro' set (which had Paul completely baffled!) but as expected it went out of range at about 50m and the resulting cartwheel broke the rudder servo, but its all fixed up now ready for more fish & chips.
We tried to get some photos but failed miserably as rain stopped play, will try to do better next time ;)
I'd like to get some video of the S/C Moonbeam if poss.

Afterwards me & Neil went slope-hunting, plenty of great sites but with no access or private roads.

When I got home, Roo had been strimming a huge nettle patch and had hit a wasps nest, he looked like a pizza with arms & legs. They didnt leave a square inch unstung. How we laughed :D

He got his revenge though, Army pal Dan ordered an air strike....

Cheers
Phil
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Fish & Chips again today, it was a bit blustery around 15 gusting 25mph or more on the Dwyer...
Took the Reeds Impala and the S/C Moonbeam but stupidly left the OS Pixie in the cupboard, so no S/C action today. Logged a couple more hours on the NRF set, no problems apart from the Lidl glider wanting to drift backwards in the 25mph wind, at one stage it was so high it was getting disorienty (new word) :D

IMG_20200729_151853003.jpg
Shauns stretched Impala

IMG_20200729_151856810.jpg

Img_5573c.jpg
This one was actually from last time, Little-V, Wildthing, DLG

IMG_5597.JPG

IMG_5600.JPG
L to R: Paul's MPX Funray(Spek) and SAS Wildthing (Spek), Shauns stretched Impala (OS Cougar(Spek)), my Lidl Glider (Pico NRF) and Impala (RCS Inter 6)

Shaun's not keen on long shots but I really am, I love to see a nice wide cloud formation with a tiny but instantly recognisable glider silhouetted against it... lots of perspective there:

IMG_20200729_152326012.jpg

And a few Shaun took of of the reeds Impala
IMG_5595.JPG

IMG_20200729_151855165.jpg

IMG_5586.JPG

IMG_5573.JPG
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Great pics. Looks like a top day.

It is looking like our annual slope soaring festival in Sep is about to be cancelled due to Covid which sucks.

I guess I get more time to build instead......

Al
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

Was that at Baildon again? Next time you go on a windy Wednesday, drop us a text in the morning and I'll dig out the Miggle Phase and join you - I'm furloughed every Weds until the end of Sept and Baildon's less than 5 miles from Baxter Towers...... I'm usually going to Ponty on a Weds, but when it's as windy as yesterday, it would have been better trying some sloping for the first time in about 20 years....