Been sloping...

They stay up by magic!
Carl

Re: Been sloping...

Post by Carl »

Well I'm getting closer to doing some proper slope soaring. The glider I was given by a local chap (not as nice a Neil's Precedent HiFly) which I'd flown the last time out showed it required better rudder response. As the tailplane had some damage I made a new tailplane and fin with larger rudder out of balsa and covered with yellow film. The rudder response was so much better and I enjoyed some good flights ON power and OFF power. The breeze up the gentle slope I was flying was only 7-8mph and it demonstrated good glide potential. The following video are clips are on the glide (no power).

It looks as though the wind direction will remain westerly early next week and maybe a little stronger, so after another go on the gentle slope to warm up first, I'm finally going to have a go down at the cliffs where there should be some great lift :shock:

Next I'm going to add elevator on my Blunderbird 1 (this came from Phil, so I hope you don't mind Phil) and get that ready for sloping - I already know it has a great glide.

I have a number of gliders to restore, refurbish or build, so once I get going with sloping I'll go through them one by one :D

I have found a cracking flying site for when the breeze/wind is northerly or easterly. Once I've the hang of slope soaring I'll start going there sometimes. I know others fly there, so I don't want to embarrass myself yet in front of them.
Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

I feel your frustration Carl.

I was forced in desperation of never actually getting any flying time to just start throwing gliders off a steep slope. Normally the wind around here either comes from the South West or the North East, and there are good flying sites for both those directions, so far this year, or at least since I have had serviceable models, the winds have mostly been from the West or East :evil:

Next trip I will have even more cheap foam 'chuck' gliders with me, and hope to return home with at least some of them still in one piece.
"I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Well I did it today - yes I finally took the plunge and threw the glider of the low lying coastal cliffs that are located at the bottom of where I often fly :D into a 14-16 mph wind :shock: the wind coming slightly south of westerly.

Firstly I did a bit of powered flying up at the top as I normally would. Then moved further down to a point where the slope is steeper. This proved very useful as it was clear that if I attempted to fly of the cliff the model will probably have been blown straight over the top of me :o

I carry pieces of lead sheet - each weighing about 50g. I put one in the space under the wing which made the model more stable and easier to penetrate the wind. So I went for another piece and that was perfect.

So now down to the low lying cliff itself. The video clip really are my first two throws :shock:

Following these I had some great long flights as I started to use the elevator to help me penetrate the wind and move further out and higher. I didn't use the motor once throughout these flights.

I am well and truly hooked :D
Carl

STILL LEARNING
Carl

Post by Carl »

Went sloping twice this week :o That's because the wind came in from the West Monday and today (Wednesday). Monday I was getting some fantastic lift with the Soaring Eagle given to me. I did try the Blunderbird also, but it was clearly not enough lift as it sank and I simply had to land it on the pebbles beneath.

I have since lightened the wing loading including a smaller lighter receiver. Today did a test glide from the gentle slopes first and the Blunderbird exhibited a lovely glide. Also setup my Pushover as a glider too with the motor pod removed and smaller lipo - this too exhibited a lovely glide with the reduced wing loading as a result.

So of down to the cliffs. Got ready to fly the Soaring Eagle first as I'm used to how that performs. About to launch and could feel the wind really blowing as if a storm was approaching, so I abandoned the launch which was quickly followed by a sudden downpour. This cleared fairly quickly. The trouble was the wind completely died down after the shower. Prior to this I measured 15mph, and now 6-7mph. This resulted in not very much lift. The Soaring Eagle kept sinking, after several retrievals and reducing of ballast I finally was getting some flying in :D

Didn't last long because the next shower came and because the wind had completely died the shower remained. So it was a case of packing up - wet equipment and models - and making long trudge back to the car in the rain. All dry now including me :cry:

It feels I wasted my time but at least I trimmed both the Blunderbird and Pushover with great glides so they're ready for next time a Westerly blows - without showers please. I've also learnt how much difference the wind strength makes to the amount of lift produced :)
Carl

STILL LEARNING
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

I have had a few trips to Middle Hope where I found once up on the hill that the wind was either in the wrong direction or too light to be of use. I have got cute to this now and do not pay for parking until after I have checked the conditions on the hill.

Tuesday and Wednesday of next week look to have almost perfect wind conditions for me locally, which would be excellent news were it not for the fact that I am away on holiday all next week. :roll:
Carl

Post by Carl »

After the maiden flights of my Sharkface the wind direction changed from Northerly to North-Westerly, so I moved to a different point where I've been waiting for a NW wind to blow in order to try a bit of slope soaring at this location. And yes there was great lift available. I know this is a modern powered glider (flown without using power), but the HK EZIO 800 allowed me to see this will be a usable slope for other more interesting lightly loaded gliders in future :D

Carl

STILL LEARNING
Carl

Post by Carl »

Had my best session of sloping today :D

A westerly produced fantastic lift up the cliffs nearby. So I flew my HK Ezio 800 first to warm up, then moved on to my Blunderbird 1 (original Phil's and built by Tobe)and finally my Pushover (with pylon motor removed). Had great long flights with each one. My only problem is I can't land safely near me as the turbulence tosses the models about too much, so have to put down in a field behind. I prefer a little walk to go over the stile to retrieve the model than breaking them.

All three models back home in one piece :D

WP_20190701_13_40_51_Pro.jpg
Carl

STILL LEARNING
Carl

Post by Carl »

Here's the first minute of the Pushover sloping flight:

Carl

STILL LEARNING
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

AT LAST!

Dry, sunny (a bonus) and a sensible breeze from the North, so I have been over to Middle Hope where there was a constant 8 to 10 MPH coming straight up my training slope. I decided to take a triplet of foam.... I know, but they are cheap and expendable and I am a very rusty flyer.

First up the Lidl... well, if there is a glider that makes a novice look like he knows what he is doing, this is the kiddie, wonderful, easy to fly, suited the condition perfectly and in the end I did about five or six flights with it and brought it home in one piece... always a result.

The Z84, this is one I saw on youtbe and thought I'd give it a go. It was fine for the conditions, but a bit twitchy for my thumbs and needed careful handling, no crashes, but a bit of a rough return to earth on the second flight as the wind pushed the nose down in a turn close to the ground while landing.

The Bolt, I have had an abortive flight with the Bolt before and really wanted to see if my conversion was a success... it was. It is a very different plane to the Lidl, quite a bit faster, not as quick to react to the controls and requiring quite a bit more concentration, I had a couple of flights with it, both with good landings, but it was the Lidl that I just kept going back to.

Anyway and mega successful few hours, and one I hope to repeat many times this summer.
IMG_0300.JPG
Carl

Post by Carl »

Well done Neil. Flying the foamies first is good for your confidence - now you can start thinking about something more retro. Perhaps something you used to fly in the past. Were there any slope soarers you flew in the past you have a hankering to fly again now?
Carl

STILL LEARNING