Slope Soaring Flight Sim

They stay up by magic!
NeilMac

Re: Slope Soaring Flight Sim

Post by NeilMac »

I've not seen the CL stuff, I am too addicted presently to the slopes... the PSS Spitfire is a hoot.
"I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game"
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

I've not been able to join in the fun as I couldnt find my interface thingymebob anywhere, searched high & low until I almost gave in and looked for a replacement on ebay. Then I reached for something unrelated on top of a cabinet and lo & behold, found three!

I think its an astonishing piece of work - I'm not a big sim fan but its the most realistic one I've ever seen.
On the slope I love the Banana, its a very accurate representation, nice & responsive and plenty of energy retention exactly like the real one. I really like it.

Has anyone looked into creating new models yet? Anyone found a suitable S/C model?
My last simulated S/C foray was on FMS:

.. but Picasim is so much better in every way :D

Cheers
Phil
Carl

Post by Carl »

Phil_G wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 14:05
Has anyone looked into creating new models yet?
Cheers
Phil
I have looked into it but it seems quite involved. I've also tried searching for ones others have created, but only found one. Someone has produced a Vulcan but not shared it. You need to create a 3D model first and then a whole load of attributes need to be set for flying characteristics. All I've done is create a half size Jackdaw based of the full size one. Not certain how accurate it is, but it's certainly smaller on the screen and gets knocked about more in wind and turbulence - I set these higher as it's proved to be a real problem at my flying site.
Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
Carl

Post by Carl »

Phil_G wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 14:05

I think its an astonishing piece of work - I'm not a big sim fan but its the most realistic one I've ever seen.
On the slope I love the Banana, its a very accurate representation, nice & responsive and plenty of energy retention exactly like the real one. I really like it.

Cheers
Phil
Really glad to hear this from an experienced sloper. So my practice in slope soaring will help me when I finally venture onto the coastal cliffs :shock:
Carl

STILL LEARNING
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

If that's how the Banana fly's for real.... I want one!
"I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game"
jmp_blackfoot

Post by jmp_blackfoot »

Phil_G wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 14:05 I think its an astonishing piece of work - I'm not a big sim fan but its the most realistic one I've ever seen.
crrcsim with Joel Liénard's slope landscapes is also quite good and very realistic.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/crrcsi ... im-0.9.13/
http://joel.lienard.free.fr/crrcsim/index-en.html
Picasim is real good too, the controline Peacemaker is very realistic.
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

jmp_blackfoot wrote: 08 Mar 2019, 05:15....the controline Peacemaker is very realistic.
It certainly is - I crashed it 5 times in as many minutes when I had a quick go at the club on Tuesday!!!
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

Notwithstanding Carl's very clear instructions, it still took me 30mins to get it working with my RealFlight Tx.... mainly due to my own inability to notice that you need to click and hold to scroll down the setup screen, and then my own inability to notice an 'Enable joystick' checkbox.... doh!!!!

But I'm happy because there's a Minimoa - which seems to tip stall most realistically!
Last edited by Colonel Blink on 10 Mar 2019, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
Martin

Post by Martin »

I like the Peacemaker control line model. Very realistic. Fly it in the flat meadow scenery. It even simulates the lines getting twisted if you do too many loops - you need to do a few 'outside' manoeuvrers to untwist the wires again. :lol: I managed to do a few cloverleafs which I could never get my real (somewhat heavy and underpowered) Peacemaker to do.

My problem with it is that I lose track of where directly overhead is when doing wing overs and impact the ground on the other side by not pulling out early enough. Is there an option to put some kind of markers in the sky?