Best small slope trainer/sport model

They stay up by magic!
GarydNB

Best small slope trainer/sport model

Post by GarydNB »

I need to build myself a slope trainer that will still be entertaining enough once I've learned how to fly on the slope.
It must be small...no more than 1m-1.2m span (gotta go in a box on a boat)

Shortlist;

1 Reduced Impala
2 Goblin/Pixie/ whatever...
3 Little v
4 Soarcerette
5 Sigma
6 force/phase/something or other

I'll want to make the wings two-piece so I can put a power-pod on a ply mount for flat-field flying as well.
Suggestions?

Gary
Shaun

Re: Best small slope trainer/sport model

Post by Shaun »

Carl has had loads of fun with the Sigma. Even got the carrying case for his (shown on the plan)
Also he's used his od. power pod.

Shaun.
Spike S

Post by Spike S »

Horses for courses and personal preference are paramount. ;)
Wing loading on Soarcerette would not make it a particularly good power-pod model. If you are planning to build a 2 piece wing, the size of a fullsize Soarcerer would probably fit the bill. It is one of the most rugged designs around and easy to build/repair. Performance is always impressive and range of flyable conditions is excellent.
You could always reduce the size a bit but perhaps not as small as its little brother.
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

+1 for the Soarcerer/ette...... If you want it for slope soaring, except for the very lightest winds, wing loading is not such an issue. Back in the day I used to carry ballast a lot of the time to help it penetrate the wind.

Another option might be Chris Foss's "Mini Phase"?..... https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=8412
It is 72" span but he shows a two-piece wing and also a power pod on the plan. It is very robust (all sheet) and if you could devise a removable tailplane, it would pack into quite a small box.

Paul
Martin

Post by Martin »

If you can hold your nose and put up with a foamy while you're learning slope flying, then that allows you to learn quickly and survive the likely beginner bad landings. If you hate foamy models and want to do it in the pure old-fashioned way then I understand that and approve.

If you want to try a foamy to begin with then the flying wing types are probably the best: Wildthing from SAS, or a Zagi or similar - though they are a little bigger than your limit.

The Alula-Trek from dream-Flight is a fantastic slope flyer in light to medium winds and can also be flown as a DLG from flat fields. It's great fun and it's just under 36-inch span assembled, but the wings come off to make it even smaller for transport :D However, it does cost more :( It's not really a trainer - it's really designed for performance and fun aerobatics - but with the c.g. set up correctly (critical) and throws dialled down it's as easy to fly as any other slope model, in my opinion. Probably worth getting an experienced slope flyer to trim it out for you before your first flight - but that's good advice for any model unless you're determined to go it alone.

If you already have a foamy "powered glider" model such as a Bixler, they work fine as slope soarers. You can remove the propeller for less drag - at some sites you MUST remove the propeller as powered models are banned. There are other sites where it's permissible to leave the propeller on as long as you don't use it (much) and sometimes the locals will agree that it's a good idea that could get you out of trouble if you're struggling to stay up and make it back to the landing area.
Mosfets

Post by Mosfets »

I've heard of Dangerous Brian but who is this Dangerous Cliff?
Igull

Post by Igull »

I'd go further than Martin, foam is definitely the thing - although, the Wildthing has never been my thing - and I've had various foam and balsa flavours from SAS over the decades :-)
Far better than any model ever built (I stand by that comment :-) ) is the Dreamflight Weasel and the new Dreamflight Weasel-Trek - absolutely outstanding slopers in ANY condition from 0 to at least 50MPH (and I've tested it in both those scenarios !). It just excels where others fall by the wayside. It's extremely easy to fly and will get you out of (and into :-) ) awkward situations.
My first one I bought years ago (can't even remember which year it came out - the fully moulded foam one) - covered in quality packing tape (on it's 3rd covering), mine has lasted since Pontius was a pilate. I liked it so much, I bought another one - the Weasel trek (didn't cover this one) - it has magnetic wings and the whole thing fits back into it's delivery box (nice box too :-) ) Just don't be put off by the price, mine has lasted for years and years and years.
If you're a real cheapskate, you can even build a foamboard clone I designed when I couldn't get my hands on a second Weasel - it's on the Flitetest forum somewhere and on youtube :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZz6mBR3X_E

Video is a wee bit tongue in cheek, sorry :-)
Having said all that, an Impaler is a lot of fun too (but not as much as a weasel :-) )

Neil
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Cracking video Neil.....

PS.. did you know they have stopped producing white Depron.. just existing stocks left.I understand 3 mm & 6 mm will be continued to be made in grey.. but no more 1 mm or 2 mm .....

Shaun
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Shaun wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 21:53 PS.. did you know they have stopped producing white Depron.. just existing stocks left.I understand 3 mm & 6 mm will be continued to be made in grey.. but no more 1 mm or 2 mm .....

Shaun
Shaun

I heard something similar 18 months ago, so stocked up to the roof with all different sizes and... it all remained available. It certainly isn't produced for us modelers but for underfloor thermal insulation. And that market isn't going to disappear, so if the Dutch company who makes genuine Depron stops production for whatever commercial reason, somebody somewhere will make something very similar.

In fact, have you tried other "closed cell polystyrene sheet" such as the green sheets B&Q were flogging off a while back? It works just as well as the "real stuff" at a fraction of the cost. So I wouldn't worry too much.

Cheers

Mike

PS Neil and Martin. I 100% agree that the Dream-Flight Alula and Weasel are the best small models one could find for an impromptu slope session. If it's light wind then use the Alula, if it's blowing a gale use the Weasel. I'm still on the original Weasel and the Alula Evo. As Neil says, the initial cost may seem high for a lump of foam, but when one averages it over the years, they are both fantastic value.
GarydNB

Post by GarydNB »

Thanks everybody for your input, I bought an Alula trek when they first came out and it's been sitting in the box waiting for me to install the radio. I have to admit tobeing a bit nervous of flying it to begin with because all the videos you see are of very accomplished pilots throwing them about and the only slope site near me are sand dunes and if you get it wrong, your expensive foamie is going swimming.
I was mainly asking for something to fly at the Ivinghoe type of do, you know, something a bit retro like.
I'm fine with foam models but I fancy a bit of a woodie for Ponty etc.
Gary