A brace of Pixies - Irvine & OS

They stay up by magic!
Phil_G

A brace of Pixies - Irvine & OS

Post by Phil_G »

Taken last year at Callow Bank, one of the SSA sites. The Irvine Pixie glider is quite superb for single channel, its one of my most frequent flyers, and the OS pIxie radio of course matches it perfectly.
Ron has seen it fly at Marske Headlands but declined to have a go on the button! Its a small robust lightweight ARTF that will take a bit of a breeze. Great shame that they're not available any more. This particular time it was a bit out of trim, needed some noseweight.

pixie_and_pixie.jpg
RON
Site Admin

Re: A brace of Pixies - Irvine & OS

Post by RON »

I just love that pixie phil.
Well both of them come to that :D

It’s such a great flyer, someone should re-kit it. I’m sure it would be a great seller.

Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
GeeW

Post by GeeW »

I know there was talk at one point of maybe getting igull to make a Pixie clone? Have heard nothing recently though.

Regards

Gordon
smokey125

Post by smokey125 »

I’m going to create a set of plans for one off of my one. Unfortunately it’s not high on my priority list although I hope to get it done by the end of the year.
Igull

Post by Igull »

GeeW wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 17:50 I know there was talk at one point of maybe getting igull to make a Pixie clone? Have heard nothing recently though.

Regards

Gordon
Hi All
If someone can get a rough drawn 'plan' to me (a scan or mobile photo is fine), just need reasonably accurate sizes and some 3-views - I'll certainly have a look at it :D
Cheers
Neil
Wavemeter

Post by Wavemeter »

Pixie variant !

I made this some 15years + ago. I copied a friends Pixie and redesigned the fuz. It flies beautifully and uses a 400 can motor that’s now lacking lustre so it can’t manage to ROG from its wheels. Now I’m alive to this wonderful forum I think it would convert well to S/C with kick up elevator. What do you think ?
5352C55C-0519-4929-B234-3595EA33087F.jpg
AF7EA45B-9EBC-484A-A24B-09080623264F.jpg
8E253937-39B3-43E8-801E-725A4A5C56E7.jpg
4EFFF77B-7068-4A89-B393-0F59A30458CC.jpg
Reconstituted boy
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

I'm still working on a Pixie, but the OS Pixie in my case, not the model :)

Pixie_MK1.png

I Cadded it up a couple of years ago, tried 3D printing it and made a complete mess of it. I then managed to lose the CAD and STL file and gave up for a while. I've now redrawn it in OpenSCAD (if you can call it drawings as you semi-program it - I love it). I think my 3D printing ability has improved, so I'll have another go at printing it soon. If anybody wants I can send them the STL or OpenSCAD file, but I'd prefer to print it first to make sure it all fits together properly.

I've had to deviate slightly from scale as the On/Off switch on the original had its fixing centres at 18mm which I can't find an exact replacement for, so I've drawn it for a switch with 15mm fixing centres as I've got a box full of them. The push button has been drawn for a standard 6.35mm switch with 7mm mounting hole and I've moved the aerial hole a bit to make it easier to mount a 2.4 antenna. I've left the case fixing hole in the same place for some 12mm headed thumbscrews with M3 thread I've bought (the original has a 10mm head thumbscrew that I can't find an exact replacement for). I'll use one of my own Arduino Pro Mini based S/C encoders - another thing I must post to the forum...

And finally I've started drawing the OS Pixie MK2. The curved sides got me thinking to start with, but proved easier than any other CAD program I've used to date, to do an enclosure with curved sides and rounded edges. The "textured" lid is proving fun to draw, but we're getting there, I'll post when complete.

Pixie_MK2.png
Cheers

Mike
Wavemeter

Post by Wavemeter »

I’d love a Mk2 Pixie in black. Will you be making up cases to sell by any chance Mike? ;)
Reconstituted boy
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Jonathan

If they print out OK I'll do you one, but that is getting ahead of myself, as I haven't finished drawing the
OS Pixie MK2 yet :D

But if anybody is more competent at printing than me and want to have a go at an OS Pixie MK1, I have the STL files for the case, lid and switch shroud ready to print, though I've only checked that it all fits together on the PC screen, not for real.

Mike
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

That’s superb Mike

I’ll definitely buy one from you when you get it sorted.
I was just saying to phil the other night I’d luv to build a replica pixie

Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire