A brace of Pixies - Irvine & OS

They stay up by magic!
RON
Site Admin

Re: A brace of Pixies - Irvine & OS

Post by RON »

Mike_K wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 21:59 I think one of us need to 3D print you a Pixie Rx case in translucent white, then fit a FrSky V8R4-II or a D4R-II inside (both should fit OK). It would really look the part then :D
That would be nice but I’ve never even seen one let alone a cad file for one :D
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Sorry for my very basic knowlege about OpenSCAD. That´s what I made out of it.
RX_Top.png
Rx_base.png
Have fun
Frank

Just improved the rendering. New files attached.
OS_Pixie_Rx_Top.stl
(2.96 MiB) Downloaded 161 times
OS_Pixie_Rx_Base.stl
(1.54 MiB) Downloaded 156 times
Frank
Last edited by tiptipflyer on 03 Apr 2018, 14:14, edited 2 times in total.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Ron

I'm on holiday so don't have all my photos with me, but I did a screen shot of some of my OS collection from a pdf and the Pixie with its Rx are left of centre (with its aerial taped up). It's a bit grubby as it saw a bit of action, then sat on various shelves for the next 40 years until I found its original box at my parents house!

The Pixie in the photo was my very first radio control set and was given to me with a KK Mini Super and ME Snipe, hence why I always have a soft spot for the OS Pixie MK1. And it still works with the Elmic Compact it came with. I can't bring myself to convert it, hence why the plans to make a reproduction.

I'll draw the Rx up when I get home and scale it up if necessary to fit a small FrSky Rx. The Tx is what I measured up and did in 3D CAD, which Neil re-drew and printed.

I've also got a Pixie MK2 with blue case that I've brought on holiday with me and am slowly drawing in OpenSCAD. If it keeps raining I'll have it finished by the weekend...

Cheers

Mike

OS_Collection.jpg
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

By the time I'd written the above, Frank had already drawn it!! Well done Frank.
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Thanks, but my skills are very limited. I heard about OpenSCAD the first time about one week ago. All I know about it (and it´s almost nothing), I learned within a week by looking at the drawings from Martin, Mike, Neil and some other guys. I also never saw a genuine Pixie receiver, just had the small picture from the Pixie instruction booklet. So there is a lot to improve from the pro´s.
Here are the Openscad files, to make improvements easier.
Thanks a lot again to Martin, Mike, Neil, Ron, Phil and all the unnamed mates for their inspiration. Even an old dog like me can still learn something new every day.
OS_Pixie_Rx_Top.zip
(1.15 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
Cheers
Frank
Last edited by tiptipflyer on 03 Apr 2018, 14:16, edited 2 times in total.
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Thanks very much Mike & Frank.

I need to get to grips with this openScad stuff, the possibilities are endless. Only thing is I’ll be making all sorts :D
So how is the RX held together? Is it the old method of a strip of gold tape all the way around. I seem to remember them using this idea on battery packs.

Ron
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

No problem, just improved the drawings. The new files are editied in the old post. If something needs to be changed, just tell me, I will do it if I can.
On the picture I saw , they used black colored film wrapped around the two halfes to hold them together.
Cheers
Frank
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Thanks Frank.
Very good job. The slot where the wires come out, is this where the grommets were or was it just wires straight into board?

Have you made one yet? How did your tx print come out? I know you said you were expecting them

Ron.
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Thanks Ron,
a piece of PCB, where the cables from the servos or actuator and the battery could be soldered onto, came through the slot. Have a look at the pictures in the OS Pixie instruction booklet here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=267
My Pixie case did not arrive yet, still waiting for it. I did not print the Rx case yet, so I do not know, if they fit together properly.

Frank
ozrs

Post by ozrs »

Photos of Pixie RX

note Rx on left is a later 5AR model.

both sides of case are the same - same lettering - only the tuning hole and circuit board slot are different.
pixie-rx-case.jpg
pixie-rx-2.jpg
os-5ar-rx.jpg
Richard