A brace of Pixies - Irvine & OS

They stay up by magic!
Igull

Re: A brace of Pixies - Irvine & OS

Post by Igull »

Hi Mike

I've boxes of PLA left - fire across the files and I'll kick off a print. The original files (fusion 360 ???) could be useful too :-)

Cheers

Neil
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

My CAD skills are poor at best & no access to a printer so if someone decides to do a production run, put me down for a mk1 & mk2 please.

Al
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Like Al; Ied like a Mk2 case if someone prints up a batch'.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Neill

Thanks for offering to have a go at printing the OS Pixie case. I've sent you a PM, but it wouldn't let me attach .stl files so I'll have to get them to you somehow else. I included my email address in the PM, so if you could let me have your email address please, I'll get the files to you.

Thanks

Mike
Igull

Post by Igull »

Hi All
I've printed Mike's OS Pixie enclosure that he fearlessly did in OpenSCAD (anyone that has the ability to use openscad should get a gold star of merit from Donald Trump at the very least - he IS Scottish isn't he ?) There were a couple of fairly minor issues, so I re-modelled it in 'TinkerCAD' for the fun of it. I've since re-printed it with some success and there should be pix attached.
The whole design is now open source and you can download all of the files from Thingiverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2835200
The design is also public on TinkerCAD - just search for 'PIXIE Case'. Ensure you search on TinkerCAD and not on the open web otherwise you might retrieve something completely different :roll:
You can have the files printed by many online suppliers at a reasonable cost (not including me, I'll stick to lasers and balsa :-)). You can modify the file to your heart's content - the case holes are set for an FrSky hack module bind board. The M3 thumbscrews are available very reasonably from Mike Kitchen at £25 each (I get a 50% cut I'm told :-) ) - he has loads of them at this price !
TBH, I still don't believe that you can fit a transmitter in this case, I'm sure he's screwed up and it should be scaled 200% :-))
Cheers
Neil
OSPixie1.jpg
OSPixie2.jpg
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Neil

The case looks really good, seeing it has enthused me to get on re-building my 3D printer today instead of flying . Well I did sneak a few quick flights this morning.

But it's fair to say that Neil isn't a fan of OpenSCAD ...
Igull wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 22:20 anyone that has the ability to use openscad should get a gold star of merit from Donald Trump at the very least - he IS Scottish isn't he ?
Being mentioned in the same sentence as Donald Trump, I don't know if to take that as a complement or an insult !!

But anybody who is going to have a go at 3D printing the OS Pixie case (or get one printed for them) and want the other bits:

The slide switch, you can get them from Rapid Electronics (or any other slide switch with 15mm fixing centres):

https://www.rapidonline.com/zip-switch- ... on-50-2976

The push-button (or any push button with 1/4" - 6.35mm mounting bush):

https://www.rapidonline.com/rvfm-us-101 ... ch-78-0118

and thumbscrews from eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M3-M4-M5-M6- ... 7be1e3958d

Or if you PM me I can do them for a lot less than Neil's suggested!

I was going to fit my own Arduino Pro Mini S/C encoder and I no longer have one of Phil's, so I'm not 100% certain if Phil's encoder will fit. But any encoder is going to be a tight squeeze.

So hope to see a few Pixie reproductions at Ponty!

Cheers

Mike
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Here is my attempt at an OS Pixie reproduction.

The video is of it working, though the colour of the transmitter in the video looks too dark, The photo is a much more accurate colour (it's near enough anyway)
Thanks to Neil, Mike & Phil for this project, well pleased with it

Ron

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 18.35.14.png
IMG_0526.jpeg
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Well done Ron.

My 3d printed Pixie case is on the way, all other parts are on hand, the Pixie replica should be ready next week.
I am looking forward for the Pixie MK2 case. I will definitely give that a try also.
A big thank you to all of you involved in this project, Neil, Mike, Phil, Ron etc.

Frank
Last edited by tiptipflyer on 28 Mar 2018, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
Igull

Post by Igull »

ronstv wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 18:30 Here is my attempt at an OS Pixie reproduction.
though the colour of the transmitter in the video looks too dark
Goodness, it could almost be real :-) :mrgreen:

You should get into the 3D print finishing business as a sideline!

I know what the finish was like before - it looks like real plastic now :lol:

And another thing, I wish you'd stop showing off that ruddy west wings swallow, it just looks so nice :-)

BTW, I've PM'd you another Pixie S - should be closer to the original - I know how OCD you are LOL :-))

Cheers

Neil
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Thanks guys,
Looking forward to some more pixies coming to life. :-)

Neil, thanks for that, I’ll print the decals tomorrow. Got some nice gold vinyl to stick them to for that finishing touch.

Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire