Nice early sloping video 1963

They stay up by magic!
GeeW

Nice early sloping video 1963

Post by GeeW »

This popped up on another forum and I thought a few people here might enjoy it?

Name the Tx's and models if you can?
PaulJ

Re: Nice early sloping video 1963

Post by PaulJ »

Thanks GeeW, 'great stuff! I spotted a KK Elmira (or two?) and at 2.30 I think that was a Mini Kema and I think it might be being flown by the designer Keith Humber (though I never met him) using an RCS Inter 6. I built a Mini Kema back in the day, I have the plan and an Inter 6 and it is on my "to build" list now...... If only we had more hills in Suffolk! :roll:

Paul
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

Nice nostalgia. I THINK the portly gentleman luanching at about 5 minutes in is John Beerand the model looks like his Zeitgeist (https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=9044) or close relative thereof.
Nick M

Post by Nick M »

This a Zeitgeist at Crook Peak a month ago ...

You woudl have to be keen to watch the video(!) but I was flying on Taranis using the s/c emulator

Manager to fly for an hour or so but impossible to land (well I couldn't) on the button - it's a spine backed ridge so hard to lose the height and judge to crawl up the slope

I'm a serial Zeitgeist builder - most recently a 2mm and 6mm depron versions - span about 50 inches

One in video is 43 years old I think...

I've also been making 30 inch versions out of 2mm depron for the upper wing surface and using doculam (transparent film for laminating ) on the undersurfaces - comes out at about 180 grams incl 2s 300 lipo

a few pics below of the 6 mm depron - and some video of the 2mm version on the Ivinghoe retro soared day

https://av8planes.weebly.com/

I've also been serial building Wizard(s) of Oz as it was my first slope soared on super regen futaba

Made a 48 inch version and two smaller sizes - tried to take some video but failed

some pictures here - again you need to be an enthusiast ...

https://av8planes.weebly.com/wizard-of-oz.html

I've made wings out of 6mm depron ribs + 3 x carbon fibre arrows + 2mm correx - right hand side is covered with doculam and left hand side in H king film to see the difference (doculam slightly lighter)

Fuselage in 6mm depron + some ply under nose , tailplane is same as wings

Some advantage in having correx on undersurface if you fly over stones

Keep soaring
GeeW

Post by GeeW »

Nick M
I am an enthusiast and did watch your videos.
Would like to see a couple of images of your old Zeitgeist ...come to that a WofOz image or two wouldn't go amiss either :D

I spotted a Impala in the video. (just to keep the thread from drift!)
PatMc

Post by PatMc »

Was that Dave Hughes wearing a black beret & leather jacket at 2.57 ? And Trevor Faulkner with the magnet steered glider at 4.48 ?
PatMc

Post by PatMc »

PaulJ wrote: 26 Dec 2019, 12:29 Thanks GeeW, 'great stuff! I spotted a KK Elmira (or two?) and at 2.30 I think that was a Mini Kema and I think it might be being flown by the designer Keith Humber (though I never met him) using an RCS Inter 6. I built a Mini Kema back in the day, I have the plan and an Inter 6 and it is on my "to build" list now...... If only we had more hills in Suffolk! :roll:

Paul

Paul, I don't think the Elmira was kitted until 1970. IIRC, it was reviewed by Dave Hughes in RM around 1971.

I think you're right on the Mini Kema.
I used to fly a KK Chief in company with a mate with a Mini Kema, both models were "porky" compared with modern day ones. The Chief had my first propo gear - Futaba with 5 wire servos on RE, probably weighed around 2lb but the MK had earlier, much heavier propo gear (can't remember the type) & weighed around 5lb. I remember one occasion needing to use full down trim on the Chief in order to penetrate whilst my mate struggled to keep the MK aloft with full up trim.