Dummy Engine

Anything with a propeller
PaulJ

Dummy Engine

Post by PaulJ »

I don't think I can contribute much of an electronic nature but this easy dummy engine might be of interest to those who don't like to get their fingers oily. It is made from a "Honey Dipper" bought for a few pence off ebay.
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG
On the left is as it comes. It wasn't quite the right shape so I stuck it in an electric drill and reduced it a bit with some sandpaper. Compression screw is made from a 3mm bolt and piano wire.
Shaun

Re: Dummy Engine

Post by Shaun »

What a great idea and they look brilliant. Can you get them in a range of sizes?

I was speaking to Carl earlier tonight (who built the airframe for the recent RCM&E plan feature for me) and he made a great V Twin from a couple of 3D printed Mills 0.75 cylinders. He will be posting details soon

Also he makes brilliant origami style pilot heads from printed paper. I asked him if he could share that skill as well.

Shaun.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I think most honey dippers are much the same size, these were plastic but many are made of wood and I think all will need some shaping and styling. I styled this one on the Mills .75 though it is a little bigger but I think it looks the part and and on a retro model looks a lot better than an electric motor. :roll:
Spike S

Post by Spike S »

The honey-dipper is so appropriate as SAM celebrates the ED Bee the year. :)
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
Carl

Post by Carl »

As Shaun said earlier in this thread I built a v-twin engine for the Sir Jasper build using two 3D printed Mills .75 cylinders. Shaun should have the contact for the cylinders, and they were not expensive.

The inspiration was the AVRO 560 monoplane:

v-twin engine.jpg

1438339469755.jpg

Here's a mockup of how I wanted to put it all together:

motor mockp.jpg

I shaped the bottom of the cylinders to clear the outrunner motor housing. You can see I joined them together at the bottom of the "V" and I made a link using piano wire to join them a little way up also:

WP_20180221_18_39_09_Pro.jpg

Where the fuel lines would be mounted I glued in two short lengths of dowel - this would allow me to plug in the dummy cylinders into the nose of the fuselage:

WP_20180221_18_37_12_Pro.jpg

And here is the front of the fuselage - I made two little brackets so the dowel slots through snugly and then into the front of the fuselage. I also covered the outrunner casing with silver vinyl as the original blue wouldn't look right:

WP_20180221_18_42_19_Pro.jpg

Finally the completed v-twin engine:

DSCF0663square.jpg

Carl
Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

'Looks great Carl :D
Carl

Post by Carl »

There is another option on Outerzone that I'd contemplated for 'Sir Jasper', but then Shaun was able to supply me with the 3D printed ones. There's a plan to build a cylinder from balsa and ply on Outerzone:

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6419

Carl
Carl

STILL LEARNING
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

This is my dummy engine on my old Wik Jonny. It looks like a Graupner Wankel engine, but there is a 40 size brushless motor inside. The dummy engine including the muffler is 3D-printed.
Jonny10.JPG
Jonny9.JPG
Cheers
Frank
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Brilliant as always

Cheers Frank and all the best

Tobe
Cheers,

Tobe
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Great Frank, are the files for the engine available?

Cheers,

Shaun