Repost: Fuel line for diesels?

Anything with a propeller
Pchristy

Repost: Fuel line for diesels?

Post by Pchristy »

Fuel line for diesels?
Postby pchristy » Sun May 25, 2014 9:13 pm

I'm trying to resurrect a second Sub-Mini - one I built to teach my son to fly when he was about 8 (he's in his mid 30s now!). Its a bit battered, and was built for two-channel propo, rudder and elevator (though due to the size of the elevators, its more like elevator trim!).

Its powered by a PAW .80 diesel, and the original neoprene fuel line has gone brittle and cracked with age. None of the local model shops seems to stock neoprene any more, and I recall that silicone reacts badly to diesel fuel! As an alternative, I seem to recall using synthetic rubber tubing in the past, but I can't find suppliers of either any more!

Has anyone got any suggestions? Where do you get your diesel fuel line from, and what do you use?

Cheers,
Pete

Re: Fuel line for diesels?
Postby AlexC » Sun May 25, 2014 10:52 pm

Spotted this on Ebay although the bore might be a little small.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diesel-Glow-F ... 4865913b0c

Postby 2.4g shaun » Sun May 25, 2014 11:34 pm

Here you go Pete,

http://www.densmodelsupplies.co.uk/inde ... ls&pid=160

how many miles of it do you need :lol: :lol:

If you want some genuine old red stripe diesel fuel, I have a small quantity and would give you enough for the job if you like.
The Dens model tubing is better though as the old Red Stripe stuff is not very flexible.. Like most things that get old ;)

Shaun

Postby pchristy » Mon May 26, 2014 8:56 am

That's brilliant! Thank you both very much, though I suspect that the Den's stuff is what I will use. Its the old redline stuff that was on the model, and it has gone so brittle that it snapped when I tried to remove it!

Speaking of diesels, I don't know if its just me, but I find them impossible to start on D-1000 "Easy-Start"! On D-3000, they start almost instantly, but that's really only suitable for ball-race engines. Most of the time I use D-2000 as a compromise.

The little PAW 80 is a classic case: I spent ages trying to get it to do more than pop on D-1000, but as soon as I switched it to D-2000, it started instantly!

Postby AlexC » Mon May 26, 2014 12:12 pm

I've had good success runing my PAW's on Southern Modelcraft sport mix, only problem is you can only buy it at the shows as they don't deliver.

Postby SAslinky » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:46 am

For diesel fuel tubing I have used and still use tubing from drips that they use in hospitals. If you know someone that works in a hospital ask them if they can get you some as when they have used the drip it just gets thrown away, so there is tons to be had for free.

Tygon tubing, the yellow type that the guys use for the petrol engines is also diesel proof, most hobby shops keep it.

Also if you know of a control line club nearby that flies team race they should have neoprene as we use it in lots of various sizes.

Lionel.
PaulJ

Re: Repost: Fuel line for diesels?

Post by PaulJ »

Or try your local garden machinery shop..... Chainsaws and other garden machines use a suitable tubing.

Paul
F2B

Post by F2B »

Or ask Tony at PAW.
I think he had access to supply or at least would be able to tell you where to get it from.
F2B or not to be....
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

If you can get your hands on the oxygen tube that doesn't have the internal anti-kink ridges, or IV line that has been used for re-hydration, they too work pretty well as diesel fuel tubing. After use, it only gets tossed in the bin, so do your bit for the environment. :P :P
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)