Santa Maria Build

Anything with a propeller
AlexC

Santa Maria Build

Post by AlexC »

IMG_20230613_122421.jpg
I have started producing my kit of parts before starting the build on the Santa Maria.

I first build this model over 50 years ago, Complete with a Cox Babe Bee and Commander Escapement.
It flew beautifully with a lovely flat glide when the Bee finally ran out of fuel.

This time round it will have electric power, and I will print a dummy Cox engine just to make it look right. :D
Tobe

Re: Santa Maria Build

Post by Tobe »

..as I like food I call this phase as it make it so much easier later on

Mise en place
Cheers,

Tobe
Mark Winstanley

Post by Mark Winstanley »

I built one of these 50 odd years ago as well. Cox babe bee power (the only engine I had) and Ripmax Pathfinder superregen radio. Never could get the radio working reliably. I can’t remember if the Santa Maria ever flew!

Best of luck with this. As it has DB type genes it should fly well

Mark.
AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I have printed this dummy Cox Babe Bee . The motor up front is a 1806 2208 kv.

It should spin a 7" prop and deliver enough power.
electric bee2.JPG
leccyflyer

Post by leccyflyer »

Nicely done.

Could I ask how you secured the crankcase to the tank?

I printed one for the Schoolboy, as a Cox .010, to fit an 1106 motor and after much head scratching eventually fitted a long thin bolt through a nut melted into the central hole in the crankcase, which now has it all together with the motor mounted, but I'm sure that's not how it's meant to be done.
AlexC

Post by AlexC »

The tank and crankcase are printed as one unit.
The motor is secured using the bolts supplied with the motor and are fed in through the tank/crankcase

Here is the link to the files.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4682282
leccyflyer

Post by leccyflyer »

Thanks for the info, I'd previously downloaded the .049 version for possible future use.

That's a simpler design, by the same chap - the .010 version prints in four parts. The motor fixing screws also fit from the back and are tightened with an Allen key through the tank. The tank only has two fixing points to the bulkhead. Maybe I'll scale the .049 version down to fit the 1106 motor, which has 9mm centres for the motor fixing screws, rather than 18mm for the 1806.