Vic Smeed oldies

Anything with a propeller
_AL_

Vic Smeed oldies

Post by _AL_ »

My Chatterbox & Tomboy.

The Chatterbox is built at 120% size which makes it 36" span. Originally built for S/C it is too much of a handful for my rookie button finger & now flies with a gigafied Kraft Series 71.
Chatterbox.jpg
Fleet1.jpg
The Tomboy is also 36" built to the original Smeed plans & is much more forgiving.
It's flown multiple times on my Taranis & will shortly transfer to a converted Kraft Series 78 with a remote S/C button for practice before it makes it's final move to a home made S/C radio.
I'll try to get some video next time they fly.
Maiden2.jpg
Two Smeeds.jpg
PaulJ

Re: Vic Smeed oldies

Post by PaulJ »

Yes, there is something about Vic Smeed's designs..... they all seem to fly straight off the board.

This is the fourth Poppet I have built over the years, all freeflight but I think number five will have radio because they fly too well and I'm not getting any younger....
IMG_0954.JPG
I built a Debutant back in the day but this one is still my favourite model on a calm Summer's evening.....
Deb1.JPG
The Soubrette is one of his later designs, I built this one for the Old Warden Vic Smeed spot landing events......
IMG_0050.JPG
For me the exception to the rule is the Chatterbox. This one flies with all the grace and elegance of a brick built outhouse (that has been covered with a 1958 edition of the Daily Sketch!). Basically I suppose it is too heavy but I think the wing is too short and looks it. It would benefit from another bay on the wing...... and then possibly being set light to! :twisted:
Chatterbox.jpg
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Here is my scaled up Coquette. A tad over powered with a Mk 1 OS 120 Gemini twin but the engine looks great and better than lead. Built in the mid 1980's it's still in excellent condition due to the KB epoxy finish over doped nylon.

Still have it.... probably the first vintage model that could prop hang. :lol:

Another shot from my chunky monkey period.. The photo was used as a cover shot for RCM&E

Cheers

Shaun
Cocquette.JPG
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Nice pics.
I very quickly realised I wasn't going to learn to fly S/C on the Chatterbox. All I was learning was how to repair it. Even on propo it was a handful until I got it trimmed.
Good fun now but not for the faint of heart.

Al
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

'Lovely model Shaun...... It appears to have a L.H. prop, does the Gemini rotate anticlockwise or is the picture reversed? :?:

Paul
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Well spotted Paul,

RCM&E reversed the image to suit the layout on the mag front page. I should really dig it out and give it an airing at Ponte this year. The Mk 1 Gemini 120's had a tendency to loose a cylinder when ticking over for any time so I installed a glow driver that switched on at low throttle - that sorted the issue. The only other problem was flying from tarmac; it wouldn't stop rolling due to all the draft from the prop so I ended up under propping it and setting the carb to 75% max, grass was no issue.

I'm sure you've also noticed that the Coquette is basically a biplane chatterbox.

Shaun
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Shaun wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 23:40
I'm sure you've also noticed that the Coquette is basically a biplane chatterbox.
You've just talked me out of building a Coquette!

Paul
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

They fly brilliantly and you can't beat a chunky biplane for looks.in the air...

Shaun
Stew

Post by Stew »

Best flight I ever had was a Poppet. Built it rudder only, and with a little 10g motor up front. On a calm evening I sat in a deck chair at the local patch and watched it go round in a lazy circle 50 foot up. The Tx was on the grass next to me. I didn't touch it for about 5 minutes. Beautiful. I've built 4 of them so far, I end up giving them away trying to convert people.
I have a soft spot for the Tomboy, but they're a little bugger to build accurately to the plan. they'll fly no matter what though. I have an RC one and a Free Flight one.
I also built the 'Bimbo', a much derided model, but I actually liked mine. It ended up re-kitted when the aerial connection came loose inside my Spektrum DX5 in a turn close to the ground :(
Not done a Chatterbox yet but it's on my list, as is the Mamselle and the Debutante.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Don't forget the Cocquette.. best chunky biplane designed.( In my opinion)

Shaun..