Mode 1/2

Anything with a propeller
PaulJ

Mode 1/2

Post by PaulJ »

The "Timber", designed by Peter Holland and published in the December 1961 issue of RCM&E has long been on my "To Build" list. So when I received one of Tobe's Rand actuators about a month ago, I thought the time had come to tick it off the list...... The original didn't have Galloping Ghost but Peter Holland was one of the early exponents of the system so I thought it was an appropriate choice and GG is a sort of half-way stage between single channel and Mode 1, hence the motif on the wing :D
IMG_0430.JPG
GeeW

Re: Mode 1/2

Post by GeeW »

The Timber is an excellent model. My long suffering example I still rate highly as a trainer.
Have you stayed with the original rudder? I enlarged mine by about 25% (from memory) in area.

Takes a lot of serious effort to get a roll out of it!
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I'm interested to hear that you increased the size of the rudder. I flew (tried to fly!) it for the first time today and it crashed due to virtually no rudder response, fortunately there was very little damage. I can't easily increase the rudder movement so the next thing will be to enlarge the rudder....... and from what you say, by quite a lot.

Paul
GeeW

Post by GeeW »

My first attempt at adding an image on this forum....
I extended the rudder as a temporary(!) measure several years ago by taping on a folded bit of thin plasticard

Timber extended rudder.jpg
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Thanks GW, I'll do something similar and see what happens...... :?

Paul